Chapter Fourteen

Justin’s fingers weave through mine as he walks me home from The Lunch Box, skateboards dangling from our opposite hands. The sun is sinking further down in the sky and a cool evening breeze tousles my hair every few minutes.

We walk in comfortable silence, both of us living in our own thoughts. I don’t know what he’s thinking about, but a small, pleased smile sits on his lips. I feel myself trying to force away my own smile—a bad habit—which proves to be rather hard, so I eventually just give in, allowing myself to stop thinking and start grinning like an idiot. After all, Justin and I are officially together, officially starting over, and officially giving each other a break.

This will prove to be hard, my relationship with Justin. I’m used to being cold with him, to overthinking my every move. Now, I’m going to have to accept the fact that I like him and that we’re together, that I can loosen up a bit. Old habits and ways of thinking might wiggle its way in, but I’m determined to make this work—because let’s be honest, I haven’t had a boy like me in years. It’s new and I’m finally letting myself give in.

“How are we going to tell the guys?”

The thought escapes my lips before I can stop it. I meant for it to stay in my head, but it leaves my mouth in a thoughtful mumble. Justin’s surprised by the question, but so am I. Why am I always thinking about them even when I’m supposed to be thinking only about Justin?

“What?” Justin asks, his eyebrows rising and his grip on my hand loosening.

Sighing, I figure I’ll just have to go through with the question instead of telling him to forget it. It was just yesterday that we had a fight and now we’re together? Really, how are we going to explain that?

“The guys,” I repeat, “how are we going to tell them we’re together? We probably seem like the most bipolar couple they’ve ever encountered.”

He chokes on the beginning of a laugh and shakes his head instead, biting down a smile.

“You’re thinking too much, again.” He points out, his hand tightening around mine once again.

I quirk an eyebrow, feeling slightly annoyed by the fact that both my hands are taken so I can’t put a hand on my hip, “It’s a legitimate question, Justin. Yesterday I wanted to punch you out, and now today we’re a couple? How do you even explain that?”

He purses his lips, contemplating the question for a moment before he answers, “Typical couple arguments, that’s how we explain it.”

Rolling my eyes, I decide to drop the subject. I guess he’s right. It’s “typical”, right? Lots of couples fight. Then, I realize my original question never got answered, so I push the subject again.

“But how do we tell them?” I ask again.

He seems annoyed by the question and lets out a deep breath, according to him, the answer is obvious, “We just say it,” he tells me.

Frowning, I argue, “We can’t just say it. I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but you’re not the only one that fancies me.”

Justin scoffs, “Sean? He’ll get over it. It’s puppy love, it won’t last long.”

“Still,” I continue, “I think just saying it will only make things worse. He’s told me he’s sorry and that he’s getting over it, but we still need to be sensitive to the fact that he likes me.”

Justin stops, tugging me back. Groaning, I face him, giving him an annoyed look.

“Okay, why is it you’re so afraid of hurting his feelings? You’re only encouraging him by being so nice about it. Why can’t you just flat out say “I don’t like you” and walk away?” Justin interrogates, and I can already see where this is going. Wow Justin, only twenty minutes into this thing and we’re already going to go there?