Chapter Six

I head out to the parking lot after school. I still can’t believe I’m doing this. I can’t believe I agreed to do this. What was I thinking? Maybe I was just desperate to get away from him at the time. Well, that was my dumbest move considering now I’ll have to spend my entire afternoon with him. Who knows how long this is going to take. I have half a mind to bail. I really want to bail. In fact, why don’t I?

I’m just about to enter the lot when I make up my mind and decide to ditch. He doesn’t own me after all. I have rights! I can do whatever I want when I want to, and right now I don’t want to hang out with him and his band.

I’m ready to turn when I realize something. I don’t have any form of transportation other than the bus, and it’s already left. I’m screwed. I let out a deep, throaty sigh and kick the ground. Stupid! I should start rating myself on a stupid scale, because right now I give myself an eight. Not quite ten. The only way I’d ever reach ten on my stupid scale was if I actually started liking Justin, which is unimaginable. So, I’ll never reach ten, but I’ll get pretty dang close.

“Hey, Carrots! Ready to go?” an annoyingly familiar voice rings in my ear. I turn and throw him the nastiest look I can muster.

“Let’s make things clear. I’m not here because I want to be. I’m here because you forced me to be here, got it? I hate you and your stupid little band.” I seethe, more angry at myself then at him.

His playful smile drops from his face and a scowl replaces it.

“Look, Reese, I’m getting real sick of you always dissing my band. It’s really important to me and like it or not you agreed to tag along.” He scolds, pointing his finger into my chest.

“Because you wouldn’t leave me alone!” I say defensively, shoving his hand away.

“Well, sorry! Most girls would love it if that happened to them!” he says. He clearly thinks women are objects and aren’t any different from one another.

“Well, guess what? I’m not other girls, so get off it.” I sneer, rolling my eyes. Justin narrows his eyes at me and we sit there looking at each other with hate until something disrupts us. A laugh. An uncontrollable and hysterical laugh. We both turn and see his friend, Alex, clutching his stomach and laughing.

“What’s your deal?” Justin asks in a confused fashion.

“Of all the chicks, you pick this one!” he says, still breathless with laughter.

“What’s that supposed to mean!” I ask, turning to Justin expectantly.

“I-uh…”Justin stammers.

“It’s alright, Ginger, you got spunk. I like spunk.” Alex winks, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I scoff and turn to Justin.

“If I’m going to spend my afternoon with your dumb friends I don’t want them hitting on me.” I say in disgust.

Justin looks at me for a second and then snorts.

“Honey, who would hit on you?”

I scowl and blush furiously as the rest of his band doubles over in laughter. That was rude and uncalled for since he is always hitting on me. What the heck? For the second time today I let my rage take over and send my fist sailing at his crotch. Justin yelps in shock and falls to the ground clutching his privates. The band becomes silent.

“Anyone else?” I ask them, raising my fist threateningly. They shake their heads. I notice Sean immediately cover his privates with his hands, as if that would stop me. I roll my eyes and kneel down so I’m eye level with Justin. “Still want me?” I smirk.