Chapter Four

Justin was shocked beyond belief at what I had just done. I grabbed Stephanie’s hand and lead her through the cheering crowd to the door.

“I’m leaving, okay?” I shout to her over top of the boisterous crowd.

“C’mon, stay! Please!” Stephanie begged, her braids bouncing wildly as she tugged on my arm. “That was great!”

“I don’t want to be here, at least I came.” I shrug.

“You’re staying, your mom would kill you if you ditched me.” She protests.

I huff and put my hands on my hips.

“Fine, but I’ll be back here. I’m done smelling everyone’s armpits.” I tell her.

She giggles, “Alright, but it’s way more fun up in the front.” She taunts and dives back into the crowd. I lose sight of her in seconds.

I hang out in the back for the rest of the performance. As soon as the last song is done I push my way out of the building. Stephanie finds me almost immediately and we start down the sidewalk back home. She’s rambling on and on about how beautiful he is, his singing is, and everything about him is. We aren’t even half a block away when I hear the almost unmistakable sound of panting and heavy foot-falls on pavement. I look over my shoulder and grab Stephanie’s wrist.

“Run!” I whisper frantically into her ear and begin pulling her until she’s running with me.

“Reese!” a male voice calls after us.

“Who’s that?” Stephanie asks, trying to turn her head and see.

“Just keep running!” I pant and jerk her wrist forward.

Out of now where the guy grabs my waist and throws me down onto the soggy earth of someone’s yard, continuing to get on top of me and straddle me.

“Leave me alone, Justin!” I scowl and try to push him off of me.

He grabs my wrists and pushes them down. I’m stuck to lie there and look up at him.

“OH MY GOD! IT”S JUSTIN KNIGHT!” Stephanie squeals, I swear she’s going to pass out.

“What was that all about?” he asks dumbly.

“What was what?” I roll my eyes, and try to buck him off. Unsuccessful.

“That! That singing, I didn’t know you could sing like that! I thought you were an artist.” He beams.

“I am an artist.” I groan and try to wiggle my wrists free from his warm, sweaty hands.

“And a singer!” he grins even broader.

“B.S.” I mutter and continue to squirm underneath him, “I sang a few lines and surprised myself, alright? It was luck, now get off or I will accuse you of rape in court!”

“I’ll get off if you promise not to run away.”

I sigh, “No promises, let me up.”

He gets off of me and stands up, offering his hand to help me. I slap it away and stand up.

“C’mon Stephanie.” I say casually and grab her arm. Her mouth his hanging wide open in awe and she is frozen still. “Now is NOT the time, girl.” I sigh exasperatedly.

“Reese, I think you should join my band.” Justin proposes.

I laugh and turn on my heel to face him.

“I wouldn’t join your band if my life depended on it.” I tell him, narrowing my eyes and looking at him in disgust, “Heartbreaking isn’t my thing.”