Chapter Five

After school I head to the art supply store that’s a mere five blocks from my house, plus I had taken A.J.’s advice and decided to take the scooter. So, overall it’s not bad as far as transportation goes.

I roam the aisles searching for canvas primer. I had been dumb enough to leave mine at school and it had gotten stolen. I finally come across a large variety and pick out one identical to the one I had and pick up a fan brush on my way to the register.

My mind is foggy with ideas for my upcoming painting. It had to be amazing because it’s going right to the directors of the art department. I had to get this mural. People look up to you and respect you when they see your painting up on that wall. Would it kill them if they could help a poor girl win some respect?

I purchase the items and exit the store. I throw the items in the basket under the seat of the scooter and hop on. I’m super paranoid about driving this thing. What if I get pulled over? I don’t want a ticket, no way. I stick the key in the ignition and drive off. When I arrive home I exhale deeply. Congratulations, Reese. You’ve managed to get home without getting pulled over.

When I walk through the front door my mom has already arrived home and is tending to Alexis’s snack while Alisa bounces a screaming Josh in her arms.

“Give him a teething ring, Alisa!” Mom shouts over the crying.

“It doesn’t work!” Alisa argues.

“Well, try again.” Mom tells her with a frown and hands a plate of fruit to Lexi, who smiles and acts completely oblivious to the rest of the world. Ah, that kid has a gift I tell yeah. I would be smothering my baby brother with a pillow if I was in her position. Okay, not really but you see where I’m coming from right?

Mom looks to me now. I wave and sneak off to the office. A desk sits in the corner with a computer sitting on top of it, papers strewn across the open space. In the other corner a treadmill sits, a thin layer of dust covering since my mom hasn’t worked out in a long time. But I’m concerned with a space in the room dedicated entirely to my art stuff. A canvas and drawing board stand side by side and a small shelf holds my supplies. I skip over and plop my new stuff on the drawing board and pull out the primer and open the lid.

I begin to apply the primer with my new fan brush on an already propped up canvas. When I’m done I push the empty plastic bag aside and pull out sketch paper from the drawer of my drawing board. I pull a pencil out of a cup that sits in the corner of the table and tap it against my lip for a moment, thinking.

I could try for something that screamed school spirit, but that seemed a little bit too cheesy. It had to be something they couldn’t say no to because everyone would love it. No matter how long I sat there and tapped my pencil on everything in sight nothing came to me. Even when I thought I got an idea and I began to sketch it out I would suddenly reject the idea and ball up the paper, tossing it over my shoulder when I thought I’d balled it up enough. Finally, I become frustrated and push the sketch paper away. Then I leave, not happy with my lack of concentration and flow of my train of thought.

~*~

I arrive to school the next morning still groggy with sleep, I’m so glad it’s Friday because I don’t think I can stand another day of waking up at six. My hair is French braided down my back because I couldn’t find anything better to do with my freshly washed hair. For once, I look kind of girly with a floral blouse and green shorts. That’s a rarity since I like keeping it simple and try not to draw attention to myself unless it’s something amazing I do.

I carry a coffee in my hand, probably a bad idea since my shirt it mostly white and I forgot to restock my clothing stash. I make my way into Mrs. Boots classroom. I can’t help but notice she looks tired as well.