Chapter Seventeen

Literature approaches much too quickly, but for no reason. Justin doesn’t even show up for class. This is totally pathetic seeing as I saw him this morning!

Yes, I want to see him. Why? Because retreating is a complete wimps move in terms of war! He might as well surrender and admit I was right. If he truly is retreating I need to begin plotting to officially take him down.

I sit in class, tapping my pencil anxiously while glancing at the empty seat next to me. What if this isn’t retreat? What if he is plotting as well? Skipping class can only give him more time to plan an attack. I shake my head. No, he may be clever, and he doesn’t fight fire with fire. He’s sneakier. He’ll get me paranoid and then leave me alone for a while, only to surprise attack later. I mustn’t allow this to happen. I have to keep an eye on him.

My attention returns to Miss Myers’ lecture about character development and our upcoming paper, but it is short lived. My attention span has been cut short significantly. The things Justin Knight does to my head will forever puzzle me. I hate him for that. I hate that he can make me completely crazy without my consent.

I sigh and tilt my head up to look at the clock. I watch the hand jump forward slowly, making silent ticking noises. This class has never seemed so long! I feel like I have a sudden onset of ADHD. I keep bouncing my feet and tapping my pencil, occasionally finding myself looking around and becoming increasingly distracted.

I’m grateful when the bell finally rings and releases me from torture. I jump out of my chair and hurry to the cafeteria. Sean and Austin are waiting at the table we have claimed as ours. I drop my backpack heavily onto the bench and look up at them expectantly.

“I’ll never get used to it.” Austin murmurs to Sean.

I look at them confusedly and put my hands on my hips. Seeing my cluelessness, Sean points to my hair. I nod and finger through the ends.

“Well get used to it, because it’s staying.” I shrug and skip off to get my meal.

When we arrive back at the table with our food we are lost in conversation. Austin keeps snapping my headband, I’m sure I have a red mark on my forehead because of him, while Sean is talking to me about his girl issues. I join in with my own stories, telling them about last night. I’m animatedly retelling the story of my mom trying to wash the dye out of my hair when something unexpected causes me to freeze.

It’s a drumroll. Then, it’s a series of guitar chords. My head swivels around, looking for the source of the commotion that has the whole cafeteria silent. Then, the master himself runs through the cafeteria, mic in hand, jumping over backpacks and flinging himself onto an unoccupied lunch table. My brain is still registering what is happening when he begins to sing.

Now listen to me baby

Before I love and leave you

They call me heart breaker

I don't wanna deceive you

I raise my eyebrows while I watch him walk through the rows of tables. Very clever, Justin Knight. I give you credit for this one. Surprise attack during lunch? That wasn’t expected, for sure. There is just one tiny problem with your plan.

If you fall for me

I'm not easy to please

Imma tear you apart

Told you from the start, baby from the start.

Students are standing up and clapping for him, cheering him on. The teachers don’t look surprised, he must have gotten permission. Smart.