Chapter Sixteen

I have never been so overwhelmed in my entire life. People wave at me in the hallway, smile even and say my name, and I don’t even know them. I’ve been approached by students wishing to get the latest gossip on the band. I’ve even been hit on.

This is not okay. I am not okay with this sudden popularity. When it comes to other people, let’s face it, I’m not charismatic, or witty, or sexy, or funny, I’m me. Truth be said, people don’t even like me. They like what I did, and as great as that is I just don’t like it. It makes me uncomfortable, like I’ve been put under a microscope. Suddenly, people care. They care how I look, talk, walk, smile, think, everything. All because I crashed the Heartbreaker’s gig.

According to them, I’m a rebel. Honestly, I hate it. They think far too highly of me. I did something that probably wasn’t the most considerate, I admit, and now they idolize me? There is something seriously wrong with people’s heads. I know I should be basking in glory and being everyone’s new best friend, but let’s face the facts. They didn’t give two cents about me until yesterday, so no, it means nothing.

I sigh, slamming my locker door shut while Austin stands beside me, waiting to walk to literature with me. Even he’s getting a lot more attention, including attention from girls. It makes him squirm. He’s not a fan.

Sean on the other hand is completely in love with it. He’s been gladly accepting girl’s phone numbers and making new “friends”. I’m disappointed in him, but don’t say anything. Friends stop it from happening, but real friends let them flounder for a while. Soon, he’s going to figure out that they don’t love him, they love Karma and they did.

Austin keeps his head down, avoiding eye contact with passing strangers while he walks with me.

“It never used to be this bad when I was a Heartbreaker.” He mutters, a scowl soiling his face.

I sympathize him by rubbing shoulder gently, letting him know it’s okay.

“Imagine how I feel.”

He nods and bites his lip, “I miss that, you know. Being a Heartbreaker.” He sighs, “Last night was fun, but-“

“I know.” I stop him, already knowing what he was going to say and he’s right.

It’s fun, this war really has been an adventure so far. I think I’m learning things about myself I never used to know. However, it’s also annoying. I wish we could all get along. I wish that kiss would have never happened. I wish Justin wasn’t such a jerk. I wish…But that’s life. You learn from your mistakes and achievements.

We’re silent the rest of the way and I give him a side hug before stepping into class. Like wildfire my name spreads throughout the room in whispers. I ignore this.

This is just another day. I tell myself.

I go to my seat quickly, avoiding any human contact. I don’t want to explain for the tenth time how the Heartbreakers broke up, partly because I change the story every time.

I throw my backpack under my desk and sit down. I pretend to be highly interested in the seams at the hem of my shirt. I pick at them nervously, drowning out the whispers. It’s short lived, my quest to find peace. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened next.

A backpack is dropped, pounding heavily on the ground. A shadow casts over me, blocking the light from the bulbs above. Then, his hands latch onto my upper arm and thrust me a good few inches off my seat. I let out a startled gasp and look up into his face. Ugh! Why does he have to be so darn good looking!

“What the hell!” he fumes, his grey eyes cold and distant.

My classmates giggle. Whether they are giggling at the scene or him, I’m unsure.