Chapter Two

Miss Myers face is still flushed with tension as she hands out Anne of Green Gables. She deliberately slams Justin’s copy onto his desk before moving on.

“Thanks, Jen,” he says in a nonchalant way.

I watch her face screw up slightly before she turns towards him once again.

“I don’t want to send you to the office, again,” she warns him, and then sets a book down on my desk before setting one on Arthur’s and James’.

He smiles slyly and leans over, snickering, “She’s getting sour with age.”

I clear my throat and flip through my copy of the book, ignoring him.

Out of nowhere, he snatches the book from my hand and examines it.

Inhaling deeply, I try to find my happy place. “Give me my book back,” I demand, nearly unable to stop it from coming out as a growl.

“I like yours better.” He hands me what was his copy. “You can have mine.”

Shoving his copy away, I reach for mine; however, because he’s decided to make this a game and holds my copy far out of reach, I’m unsuccessful.

“Would you just give it back?” I grumble, about ready to get out of my seat, or slap him-- maybe even both.

“Does it matter what copy you have?” He raises an eyebrow, with a taunting smirk on his face.

I realize I’m being childish and scowl at him before grabbing his copy roughly, and throwing it on my desk in disgust. I can’t believe I have to use something he touched. Gross.

Now that Miss Myers has finished the distributing of books process, she stands at the front of the class. “All right, class, Anne of Green Gables has some very important character development throughout the story that I’d like you to be paying attention to,” Miss Myers begins, and the class hushes to listen.

Well, most of the class.

“Who cares?” Justin bursts out, leaning back in his chair and rolling his eyes. Some of the students snicker in response.

I, however, am completely unimpressed, and let out a groan. I hate people who do this stuff. It’s not funny and only gives the rest of the class more work.

“Another outburst of disrespect from you, Mr. Knight, and you will be down in the office,” Miss Myers yells from across the room.

I rub my temples and close my eyes; this is going to be a long class.

Justin laughs and lifts his legs off his desk to sit like a normal person. He rests his elbows on his desk and hunches over—begging her to continue. And she does.

I listen to her explain the points of the book she wants us to focus on, but get distracted when Justin taps my shoulder. Throwing him a dirty look, I turn my attention back to the front of the classroom.

“Hey, I’ve seen the movie and I was wondering . . .” He reaches over and runs his fingers through my auburn ponytail. “How’s it going, Carrots?” Next thing I know, he’s tugging the end of my hair firmly.

My face turns crimson and I grab his wrist, digging my fingernails into his skin. I hear him laughing, and turn to look at him. From the goofy look on his face, he’s obviously amused.

“I’m not a ginger, you loser,” I mutter, and throw his arm back at him.

“What’s going on back there?” Miss Myers’ tense voice booms across the room, and I know she’s addressing us.