Chapter Six

I size up the pale yellow door in front of me, raising an eyebrow at the festive Christmas wreath that still hangs limply from its hook. Biting my lip, I glance around to make sure no one is watching. The idea of inviting Stephanie to my birthday celebration makes me queasy. She’ll stick to me like glue, watching me like a hawk. She was always like that to begin with, glad for my company. Now though, things are different. She’s out to get me. Jealous that I hang out with Justin, she’s decided to hate me.

It’s weird actually; she encouraged me to join the band in the first place. But, her crush on Justin must have overtaken her thread of logical thinking and now she’s incredibly envious, wanting me to stay away. I wonder if she thought that if I was friends with him that would automatically make her friends with him as well.  She was so wrong.

Swallowing my dislike, I plaster a fake, sickly sweet smile on my face and knock on the door. I wait for someone to answer, shifting uncomfortably on the welcome mat. When the door does open, I’m greeted by Stephanie herself. Her dull blonde hair is unbraided and framing her face in a crimpy, tangled mess. She looks quite crazy, almost like a mental patient. If it weren’t for her creepy persona and her strange tendencies she’d actually be quite pretty, but it’s quite obvious she’s stuck in the state of a child. She tends to dress in clothes I would find my niece, Lexi, wearing with long blonde braids down her back. She’s immensely sheltered by her mother, so I can see where this comes from. Nevertheless, she’s got a mind of her own and gives me an amused look from behind the door.

“Come to apologize for stealing my future husband?” she asks, giving me a serious look.

I know she’s kidding, she has to be. That’s a new level of crazy if she thinks I’d apologize for stealing someone I never really stole. Plus, she’s never said more than a couple of words to Justin and usually when she does it’s along the lines of “marry me”.

I shake my head and clear my throat, trying to avoid looking into her eyes.

“Actually, I’ve come to invite you to my birthday celebration this Wednesday.” I say as casually as possible. Part of me wants her to say no, but I know that if my plans are going to work out she needs to say yes.

Her eyes narrow, a skinny arm snaking around completely to the front of the door before her body emerges from behind the protection of the painted entry. To be honest, it kind of freaks me out.

“Why would I want to come to that?” she asks, spit flying from her mouth as her lisp takes over.

I rock gently on the balls of my feet and run a hand through my hair, trying to find a good excuse.

“I—um, I just thought that since you live so close and everything that you might want to come,” I say, wincing at how horrible this sounds, “There will be cake.” I add.

She throws her thin locks over her shoulder and leans in the entryway; trying to look cool, I presume, and answers, “The Heartbreakers perform Wednesday. I can’t miss it.”

“Oh, well, what’s one performance?” I ask, “Besides, I was hoping we could be friends again. I’m sorry about the whole Justin thing. I know you love him.”

She seems to measure the honesty in my voice, glaring at me slightly. It’s like she can see through me.

“Yes, well, I do love him. He’s perfect and I can’t miss his performance.” She tells me, turning her face down to examine my appearance.

I could slap her right now. Why can’t she just go along with it?

“Please Stephanie? I’m sure he won’t mind. Besides, I’d forget about Justin, he’s not the one who likes you after all.”