i choose you

-riley-

"So are we boyfriend and girlfriend?" I giggle at Lucas after my mom tells us the third time that we were leaving.

"You wanna?" He recreates eighth grade, but adds a wiggle of his eyebrows.

"I really do." I smile.

"Then you're my girlfriend." He intertwines his fingers with mine as we walk towards the bus.

"And you're my boyfriend." I grin and squeeze his hand. On our way to the bus, I start rocking our hands back and forth.

Lucas pulls me closer to him then twirls me before we get on the bus.

Ever since he said that we'd be together we both haven't stopped smiling or giggling. Maybe this is what first love feels like and I'm not sure I want it to ever end.

We sit at the back of the bus and my head finds its way on his shoulder.

"You fit perfectly." He says.

"It's like I belong here." I grin at him.

"You do." He kisses my forehead and I don't think I've ever been in such bliss before.

"You know, you haven't slept all day, are you sure you don't want to sleep?"

"I'm okay, Lucas. Really. Plus, it's the first day we're together and the first time in a while that we get to talk like this."

"There are going to be many days we'll be able to talk like this, jellybean." I giggle.

"Jellybean? That's your term of endearment for me? Of all the nicknames?"

"What? You don't like it?"

"No, I don't. Why couldn't you pick princess or baby or something?"

"You want me to call you baby?" He looks at me, surprised.

"No. Not baby.." I retract.

"No I think I like baby." He teased.

"Noo, Lucas. I don't want to be called baby." I slap his arm and laugh.

"Okay, fine, sunshine." He smiled.

"Sunshine?"

"What? I like sunshine. You're a complete ray of sunshine remember?" He pinched my cheek as he said it.

"Lucas!" His hand rested on my face so I held it in mine.

"So can I call you my sunshine?"

"You can call me anything you want."

"Good, jellybean." He quickly pecked my lips and grinned at me.

"Hey, Mr. Matthews. I think these two need to be separated. They're making us all carsick." Maya says at the seat in front of us.

"Maya!"

Lucas and I sat properly in our seats and held hands under the armrest.

"Honey, I'm just teasing. You and Ranger Rick can make out all you want." She turns from her seat to look at me.

"What?!" My father comes rushing towards our seats and glares at us.

"Ma!" I yell out to the front for my mother's attention.

"Ma!" My father mimics while pointing at us.

"Cory, let them be!" She rolls her eyes and shakes her head and starts pulling him back towards their seats.

"Just to be clear, there is no making out, sir!" Lucas yells.

"There better not be, Mr. Friar." My father yells back.

"Thanks for that, Shortstack." Lucas leans forward toward her seat in front of me.

"Hey. I had to make sure I'm the only one allowed to go to her bay window 24/7."

"You didn't need to do that! Now he won't even let me in the house."

"Oh Lucas, don't worry. We'll find a way." Zay chimes in from his seat beside Maya's.

"But you do need some ground rules for the bay window now, Riley." Farkle adds from beside us.

"Yes. In my home, Farkle isn't allowed into my room with the door closed. And it is the same in his. Now that you are a couple, you must have boundaries." Smackle advises.

Lucas and I look at each other.

"That means no more late night visits?" I ask.

"And no more secret sleepovers." Zay adds.

Lucas kicks Zay's chair and he grins at him.

"You guys wanna hear a great Riley and Lucas story?" He asks quietly so only the six of us would hear.

"No!" Lucas and I exclaim.

Lucas reaches over and covers his mouth while I smile nervously.

"That's why I found one of Lucas' sweaters in your closet." Maya figures out.

"It was a while ago.." I brush off.

"Yeah, you think Hambone's gonna let that happen again?" Farkle asked.

"I know my own boundaries. Thank you very much." Lucas says.

"Yeah okay." All four of them say.

"We know our boundaries!" I defend.

"Just be more careful, Riles. Huckleberry's already out of shoes. Next thing you know, he'll only have one foot." Maya jokes.

"Oh come on. Your dad would never do that to me," Lucas looks me for confirmation, "Right?"

"I would never let him hurt you." I touch his cheek.

"You two need to be locked apart." Smackle remarks.

"Yeah, there's no way you'll be able to stay away from each other or not get caught." Zay agrees.

"You guys need to have more faith in us."

"Yeah! We'll be fine." Lucas agrees.

"I give them a day." Maya bets.

"3 days." Farkle adds.

"A week." Smackle says.

"An hour." Zay chimes.

"We have the worst friends." I tell Lucas while putting my head on his shoulder.

"I know."