meant to be

(riley & lucas world of terror 3 AU)

-lucas-

It was weird finally starting to care about someone; finally realizing that I can accept another person into my life after what I did. I had avoided it for so long, that I've forgotten how good it felt to have that person care about me too. 

I've lived in New York for three years now, and it isn't until now that I've actually wanted to get to know someone in my new surroundings. It wasn't until now that I've found someone else I wanted to protect so much since Zay. Once I met Riley, I couldn't stop the need to protect her. I found myself following her to make sure nothing happened to her. And eventually I finally found the courage to actually talk to her and tell her to stand up for herself.

After I was sure that she was okay, I kept my respectful distance, because I didn't want to scare her away. But she found me every single time.

"Are you still following me?" Her hair flicked my way as she turned to look at me.

"No. Of course not." I denied.

"You're following me," she grinned, "you care about me!" She teased.

I couldn't help but hide my smile underneath my hat.

"You know I don't need a bodyguard, right?" She peeks from under my hat, "and Maya and I are basically friends now, so there's really no need to protect me anymore. Your sheep is totally fine." She jumps as she spoke every word, with the sun shining through her eyes and smile.

"My sheep?" I smirked.

"That's what you said isn't it? I'm your sheep and you need to protect me?" She asked with a raise of her eyebrow.

"I guess so." I nodded and chuckled at her.

"Well, okay then. But if you want to be my friend, you have to stop following me. Sometimes I don't see you in your all-black get up and I might lose you."

"Friend? Why do you assume I'd want to be friends?"

"You don't?" She takes a step back from me with a disappointed look in her eyes.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. But being friends with me won't do you any good, sunshine."

"Maybe not. But maybe it'll do you some good. Your choice, though," she shrugs, "you always know where to find me." She skips away with her hair bouncing in her wake, leaving me to make a decision for myself.

-
"I'll wait for you out here, daddy." She yells out into the classroom.

"Here we are again, for another Riley Awards! And here's your host, Riley Matthews!"

I hear snickering in the corner of the hallway behind the lockers and find a brunette with her cell phone covering her face, filming the whole thing.

I sneak towards her and take her phone.

"Lucas! Hey! Give that back!"

I deleted the video and gave it back.

"Go over there and apologize." I pointed towards the pretty little brunette who continued on with her ceremony.

"What the hell? No."

"You were filming her without her consent. Without her even knowing. Who does that?"

"Well, you deleted the video and it's gone so there's really nothing to apologize for and I should go home."

"Riley." I called and caught Missy's wrist before she could leave.