your decision

-riley-

"Riley, it's my birthday! Just this once can you please make it about us?"

"Lucas, for the fifth time! I am not leaving Maya the day of her art show."

"I'm not telling you to leave her. And her parents are there for her. She'll be okay. I just want you to come to family dinner. We'll go there right after. It's my birthday, you're my girlfriend." He reminded.

"We aren't going to go through this again I'm done discussing."

"All the other days I let you go to Maya. Just this one day. At least for two hours! Why can't you do this for me?"

"Lucas, you know why! Maya is my sister. You're just a boy." At that, he took a step back. I wish I could take back what I said the moment I saw his face.

"I'm your boyfriend." He whispers. "Am I just a boy?"

I combed my fingers through my hair in frustration. "That's not what I meant."

"Look, if you don't want to go to dinner, it's fine. I understand." He starts to walk towards my door.

"No. Lucas, I do." I stopped him by pulling him back by his arm.

"Do you?" He took a breath. "Riley, when I said I wanted you to choose me at the ski lodge. I didn't just mean that moment. I didn't just mean against the sherpa guy. I meant against Maya. I know I don't have anything against her, or even Farkle. But all I ask are days like this. Maybe once a month where you can make us a priority. But I don't know if that's even possible."

"Lucas..."

"You said I was just a boy. But you're not just a girl to me."

"You know I didn't mean that."

"Maybe. But I've watched you be there for her every single moment of her life. Even when she's not there for you every single moment of yours sometimes-" I tried to interrupt. "You know I'm right, Riley. But that's not the point. This is the only time I've ever asked you to stay for me."

"Lucas. That's not fair."

"No. It's not fair that you won't go with me to my birthday dinner. It's not fair that you choose Maya 99% of the time. It's not fair that our first fight is about this."

"Why does it have to be a fight?"

"Because I don't think you're listening to me. Every time Maya and I have something at the same time, you go to her. Every time we have plans and Maya tries to make plans with you, you go to her. I know she's your first priority. That's always been okay with me. But I'm asking for two hours."

"Lucas. I said no! Why can't you just deal with it?!"

He nods slowly and walks out of my door.

I sit on my bay window and sigh. The wrapped present on my bed stares at me.

--
"Riles, what are you doing here?" Maya asked as I approached her.

"What do you mean, Peaches? I'm here for your art show! I'm your number one fan, remember?"

"Yes, I remember, Honey. But it's Huckleberry's birthday. You should be with him."

"Did he tell you to say that?" I huffed.

"No, honey. It's the truth. You shouldn't be here. Huckleberries only turn 17 once, you know."

"I don't think he wants to see me right now."

"That's ridiculous, you're his favourite person in the world."

"Yeah, but we had our first fight. He's upset with me."

"You guys had your first fight.. because of me?" She was taken aback.

"No, Peaches." I denied.

"Riley. Listen to me. You shouldn't choose me all the time. We're sisters, best friends. We're each other's extraordinary relationship. But that doesn't mean we can't be with other people. That's why I don't come to your cheer competitions sometimes. Because I know that Lucas wants to be there for you. And I know sometimes you need to be alone with him. And that's okay. Those days are important to you so they're important to him. But that doesn't make it less important for me. There doesn't need to be a choice between us, Riles. Even if I'm not there, I'm still here." She held my hand and smiled at me. "So thank you, for coming to support me. But I'm gonna need you to leave."

"You're gonna be okay?" She looked over at her parents who were walking around the halls and smiled.

"I'm going to be just fine. Now, go. Tell him happy birthday for me."

--

I ran to the restaurant that I knew he was having his dinner with his family with his present in my hand.

"Riley? What are you doing here?" Lucas immediately stands up and goes to me.

"I'm sorry." I bowed my head in shame and handed him the present.

He slowly opens it and takes glances at me while doing so.

"How did you get a picture of this?" He stared at a picture of me on his lap the day we met on the subway.

"Maya had my phone and she took one. I didn't know she took one until I went through my pictures recently. Look at the other pictures."

Under the wrapping paper was a box of different pictures I had printed for Lucas with little notes in the back. The pictures were important moments we've had together and some of the moments I've been proud to be part of his life.

"Riley, this is amazing."

"Lucas, I'm sorry about how I acted. You know how important you are to me. I'm sorry I don't show that enough, but you are. I'm sorry I made you feel like you have to compete with Maya. You don't. You're both important to me. No competition. No more triangles. I'm with you. 99.999999% of the time."

He puts down the box and holds my hands.

"I'm sorry I was being unreasonable. I didn't mean to go off on you like that. I'm with you too. No matter what you do." His hands moves to my waist as he pulls me closer.

"Happy birthday, bear." I quickly pecked his lips and stayed by his side during dinner.

----

(I've deleted my picture just bc i didn't really feel comfortable to have it up sorry not a real update)

Also I've started the second part of bad for you but I rly don't how to write it so just saying it's coming just dk when :)

tysm for reading ily