nice to meet you

-riley-

It was hour five of my six hour shift at my mother's coffee shop when a tall, blond-ish guy walks in and sits down near the fireplace. Normally, I would pay no mind to attractive guys that walk in to Topanga's, but I kept gravitating towards this one. That and the fact that Maya pushed me towards him to serve him.

I give her a look before taking out one of the small menus we have to keep in our aprons and coming closer to him.

"Welcome to Topanga's. Here's a menu if ever you wanted to try some of our pastries." I smiled at him.

"Can I actually have one order of you?" Stupid me actually started to write on my notepad until I realized I certainly was not on the pastry menu.

"I'm sorry?" I stuttered and he looked pretty horrified at his own words.

"I'm sorry. I really don't know what came over me to say that. Um. You're really pretty and I'll have a coffee and a croissant, please." He nervously rambled and I lightly giggled.

"Thank you," I blushed, "Is that everything?"

"Yeah. Um. Do I pay now or later?"

"Later. I'll be right back with your order."

I return to the counter where Maya waited with a smirk.

"So that was a long conversation for just a coffee and croissant. Did he ask for your number?" She said while she started brewing his coffee.

"No. Shut up." I kept glancing over to him in the corner where he looks as if he was telling himself off.

"You know, he's cute. Do you mind if I bring him his order?" She teased.

"No way. He's mine." I almost yelled and got the attention of some of the customers.

"Woah, Riley. You two just met."

"Shut up!" I playfully slap her arm and walk back to the attractive customer with his order. I kept mentally telling myself not to trip because this is exactly the moment it would happen.

"Careful with the coffee it's hot too." I mentally slapped myself.

"Hot too?"

"I..um..because you're..uh never mind. Enjoy!" It was his turn to chuckle at me.

"So are you. Thank you, Riley."

"How did you- oh. Name tag. Right! You know what? I'm going to stop."

He chuckles again and offers his hand, "I'm Lucas."

I took his hand and shook it and thought, I love it. I heard him chuckle a third time and I realize I said that out loud.

"I really need to stop embarrassing myself and go back to work. Nice to meet you, Lucas."

"Nice to meet you too."

Maya passed by me with the smirk still on her face, telling me she heard the whole thing.

"You've got the lovey dovey eyes!" She whisper-yelled.

"No, I don't! Maya, stop." I blushed.

"Riley, you're smitten!" She said a little louder.

"Stop!" I whined.

"You better ask for his number before your shift ends."

"No. No way."

"What if he never comes back, Riles? Come on. Now or never."

"I pick never. Come on, Maya. We're supposed to be working." I pull her towards the counter and she drops the subject as we clean up.

As I worked, I took occasional glances as the attractive man now with the name Lucas. He was on his phone for most of the time while drinking his coffee and messily eating his croissant.

I kept questioning the world how that very attractive, almost god-like male could be such a dork. How does that even make sense?

I lost focus and realized that Lucas had left and started to walk over to clean up his spot.

He paid way more than he should have and beside his bill, he wrote "keep the change :)" with messy writing on a napkin. I cleaned up and kept the little note just because I really might not see him again.

As I put his money into the register, the coffee shop phone rang.

"Riley, I know your shift is almost over, but can you get that? I have to get a couple orders ready." Maya asks.

"Yeah, no problem."

I go to the back and answer the phone, "Hello, this is Topanga's. How may I help you?"

"Uh hi. This is Lucas. I was just there." My heart beat so hard I thought it might pop out of my chest.

"Hey Lucas! This is Riley. Did you need anything? Did you forget something?"

"Actually, I wanted to ask you something." He paused for a bit and I heard him take a deep breath, "Would you maybe want to, I don't know, go out with me or something?"

It took me a full minute to get my breathing fixed.

"Hello? Riley?"

"Uh yeah. Sorry. Yes! I mean, yeah. I would like to go out with you." I heard the phone drop and Lucas whisper shit in result of it.

"Cool! Um, do you think I could get your number? It'd be kinda weird if we communicated through the café phone."

"Yeah. No problem." I proceeded to tell him my number.

"Um okay. I'll text you. Have a goodnight and I'll see you soon, Riley."

"Goodnight and see you soon, Lucas."

--
thank you to KG1429 for this idea :)