bear with me

(gm bear add-on bc we were deprived)

-lucas-

While Riley and I sat at the bay window after a long day of looking for her stuffed bear, we both realized that sometimes you have to replace the things that you've been holding on to with something equally as special. By doing that you'll be able to grow and still also hold on to your memories.

"So since I'm the new and improved Barry the Bear Bear, what are the kinds of things he used to do?" I asked my girlfriend after she promoted me to her new bear.

"Well, Barry cuddles me every night-"

"Yes!" I interrupted.

"Lucas, you're not allowed in my room after nine." She rolled her eyes at me playfully.

"But since I'm your new bear, those rules must be revoked." I reasoned.

"Yeah okay, you can tell my father that."

I came back in fear. "There's no way he'd do it."

"You know what'll ease him up?"

"What?"

"Tacos."

My eyes lit up, finally knowing the way to my future father-in-law's heart.

"Plus, I still owe Maya and the rest of you for making you stay home today."

"Are you suggesting we sneak out the window and buy Tacos for everybody?"

"Yes."

"Riley Matthews, you rule breaker!" I say before letting her go first out the window.

I helped her down her fire escape and held her hand as we walked.

Since we started dating, holding hands was a routine whenever we saw each other. But since we were at her home, we made a rule not to be showy in front of her parents.

So history class was always a no go in school, the bay window was sacred for Maya's sake, Topanga's was very risky, and the occasional invites to family dinner had also forbidden hand-holding.

The days we were away from her house were always nice for us (but not the rest of the gang who'd often come with us) because we get to actually talk without interruption from her father or her equally overprotective brother and be able to hold hands and hug a little.

"I'm sorry for making you look for Barry all day." She looked up at me while we walked.

I stopped us so I can make her look at me.

"Riley, Farkle and I were only kidding when we said we wanted to leave. You know, I'll always stay if it's important to you."

"Always, huh? Remember the hole?" She teased.

"Hey, we said we'd leave that behind us! But I promise I will never do that again." I pulled her closer by her waist and she smiles at me.

"I know. And thank you for being patient with me."

"I wouldn't be your new bear if I wasn't." I kiss her forehead and we start walking to Paco's Tacos again.

"You're really going to take Barry's place?" She asked as she hugged my arm.

"I'll try real hard. But I know you're perfectly capable of protecting yourself, so I don't know if I'll be much help." She nods in satisfaction.

"It's nice knowing you're always going to be there for me."

"Of course. And you're always there for me so I have to return the favour."

"Have to?" She gave me a look that meant that I did not choose the right words.

"I want to very much." I corrected as I opened the door of Paco's Tacos for her.

"Good."

We lined up behind the long line for the tacos and I notice Riley whispering to herself.

"Riley, what are you doing?"

"I'm telling myself sad stuff so I can cry."

"Why would you cry?"

"I'm going to try and get Maya a bobblehead. Now, stop distracting me!"

I lightly laugh at her as we go forward towards the counter.

We were next in line and Riley's eyes were filled with tears as we approach the counter to order.

I told the cashier my order while Riley kept her head down. When I finished she spoke, "and um.. I know you've run out of bobbleheads, but I just lost my teddy bear and I was hoping to get one so I could feel better. But -" she paused to breathe and sob a little loud, "we weren't able to catch the early opening and missed all the bobbleheads." She cries harder and the cashier looks around.

"Okay. Okay. Stop crying. We have one more at the back and I'll put it in the bag of your order so no one else will see. Okay? Just stop crying."

"Thank you." Riley smiles and wipes her tears before reaching for her bag.

"Uh uh, Riley. I've got it." I take out my wallet to pay and she looks at me.

"Lucas, you don't have to. I've got this."

I stick my arm out to block her and give the cashier my money.

"Tacos are a little like sandwiches right?" Her eyes lit up as she remembered our promise.

"Or something." She kisses my cheek as we moved to the side to wait for our order.

Our server came out with two white bags full of tacos and handed it to us with a wink towards Riley. I protectively put an arm around her and took the bags with a light glare at the server. Riley noticed and gave me a playful elbow to my side so I kissed the top of her head in return.

We walked back towards her apartment and she told me how special Taco day was to her father and Maya - since she was pretty much adopted into the family.

"Ever since Auggie was born, my mom had to stay with him and Maya would sleepover so we could wake up extra early the next morning. My dad would take us to Paco's Tacos and he'd ask for two small paper bags for our Tacos so we could carry our own little bags while he carried his big bag for my mom, Auggie and him. That was our tradition every Paco's Tacos anniversary."

"And this year?"

"This year, Maya and I told my dad we could go and get some for everyone ourselves so he didn't have to wake up too early. Obviously, the plan failed. And here we are."

"Well, I'm glad to be a part of your little tradition. I hope I didn't ruin it."

She tiptoes to kiss my cheek the second time that night and goes back to hugging my arm. "You could never ruin anything even if you tried. I'm glad that I was able to keep it going with you. Thank you for buying the Tacos."

"Hey, if I get a kiss every time, I'll buy all the Tacos."

She tiptoes to give me another kiss and I move my face so she could kiss my lips instead. The gesture got me a light slap on the arm and a grin. So it was definitely worth it.

"You're lucky I like kissing your cute little face, bear."

"Oh, your nickname is bear for me now, jellybean?"

"Yeah. Lukey the bear. I love it." I rolled my eyes at her and held her hand to guide her towards her fire escape.