our secret

(the secret sleepover Zay lets out in the bus ride)

-lucas-

It was way too late in the night to be wandering around the streets of Greenwich Village, but that's where I ended up.

My parents had given me a piece of their mind after seeing that I received a C on a test and told me I should stay at Isaiah's so they could cool off. Although Zay's family was always welcoming, I decided not to stay there. Instead, I'm walking around Riley's building debating whether or not I should climb the fire escape.

I eventually climb up and see that Riley's light was on and I knock on her window.

"Lucas? What are you doing here?" She asks as she opens the window.

"I needed a place to stay for the night. I'm surprised you're up."

"Well, get in. It's cold out there." She gives me space to get in and I close her window. "And I couldn't really sleep."

"Why not?" I sit on her bay window and she sits cross-legged beside me.

"I don't know I haven't been sleeping much since..." She looked at me suspiciously, "I haven't been sleeping much."

"Yeah I haven't been sleeping much since our graduation either." I read her mind. "I can go to Zay's if you're uncomfortable."

"No, I'm not. I could never be. Stay. Why did you need a place to stay? Is everything okay?" She switches the subject.

"Yeah. Everything's fine. Just the C on the math test." I tell her and she nods because she knows how my parents are.

"You can sleep here but you have to be out before my parents break in in the morning. Or before Maya gets here."

"Yeah that'd be an awkward situation. She might ask me to stay at her place too." I joke dryly and she just looks at me with a hint of hurt in her eyes.

I was about to apologize but she stood up.

"I think I still have one of your blue shirts from when you all slept over. You can change into that to sleep." She says as she goes into her closet.

I set up her pillows on her bay window so I could lay down and she comes out with the shirt.

"You can't sleep there, Lucas. Your back will be broken by the time you wake up."

"Okay.." I slowly try and place one of the pillows on the floor and she stops me.

"Lucas, there's plenty of space on my bed. I'm not going to let you sleep on the floor." She takes the pillow from me and puts it back on her bay window.

"You want me to sleep beside you?" I look at her surprised and her cheeks redden.

"Not like that. I mean, yeah.. but.. ugh. Just change will you?" She throws the shirt at me and gets back into her bed and I chuckle at her.

I get into her closet and change and come out to a space on her bed beside her.

"Riley, are you sure?" I ask nervously.

I hear a muffled yeah under the covers and smile before I turn out her light.

I get under the covers and try to turn away from her. I feel her do the same.

"Goodnight Lucas." She whispers.

"Goodnight Riley."

-riley-

I woke up to the sun shining through my bay window and I knew it was going to be a pretty good day. I hug my pillow tighter and realize it was not a pillow because it hugged back.

I rubbed my eyes open and realize that Lucas and I were face to face and he was snoring softly in my ear while my head rested on his chest. I panicked a little and shook him softly.

"Lucas, wake up." I whisper and try to get out of his grip.

"Five more minutes, wifey." He sleepily muttered.

"Lucas." I gave him a look and tried again.

"Riley, babe. Let me sleep." Babe?

"Lucas. Wake up."

"The kids are still asleep. Just cuddle me for five more minutes."

I slapped his arm and his eyes shot open.

"Riley?" He looked down at me on his chest. "Riley!" His arms let me go and he stood up fast.

"Shhh! My father might hear you." I whispered with emphasis.

"I'm so sorry!" He whispered to me as he sat down beside me.

"It's fine, Lucas."

"No. For that. I realize I forgot to tell you I hug anything around my bed." I chuckle.

"It's okay. But I really hope your wife doesn't mind." I joke and his cheeks turn red.

"What?" He looked at me horrified.

"Oh, nothing. You were just talking in your sleep a little." His face falls on his hand.

"What did I say?" A muffled groan comes out of his mouth.

"You were just talking about your wifey babe who is the mother of your kids and the one you need to cuddle for five more minutes." I tease.

"Oh my god." His face falls on the pillow and he shakes his head.

"Tell me I didn't say a name."

"That's for me to know and for you to find out." I stuck my tongue out at him and tie my hair up before I attempted to get out of bed.

I say attempted because before I could, Lucas tries to tickle his little secret out of me.

"Lucas, stop. We're gonna get caught!" I whisper-shouted at him through my fits of giggles.

"Tell me first!" He continues.

"No!" I fight.

"You should really lock this." A voice says. "Especially when you're doing that."

Lucas and I separate as Zay gets himself seated at the bay window.

"Morning, Zay." I say as I try to fix my clothes and hair. He tipped his invisible cowboy hat at me and smiled.

"What are you doing here?" Lucas asks him.

"Well, funny story. Your parents called this morning and asked if you were coming home for breakfast because apparently you weren't answering your phone. So, as the greatest best friend I am, I lied and told them you were still asleep and you weren't going to go home for breakfast. And after the phone call I was wondering why they would call me to ask where you were. Then I remembered your math test and you obviously not going to be allowed to sleep at home. So I thought of the only person besides me, of course, that you would find solace in. And here I am. I came to pick you up and save you from the Mr. Matthews that will wake up anytime soon. Because he's probably hungry for breakfast and that might as well be you."

"Zay, you can't tell anyone I was here." Lucas says and I nod in agreement behind him.

"Of course not. Who do you think I am?"

"Zay.." I said in warning.

"It will be our little secret. Now, let's go, man. Before he smells you." He jokes. "Thank you for taking in this homeless man, Riley." He says before he leaves out the window

"No problem." I smile.

"No really, thank you, Riley. I really appreciate it. And you're gonna have to tell me the name one day." He says before Zay pulls him by the arm.

"One day." I called out and grinned at him.

I start to get ready for school and realize that he left his sweater beside the bed and hide it in my closet. His smell was still stuck to it and maybe I'll give it back eventually.

-------

this is set after graduation and after they started high school obviously in the midst of all the triangle nonsense

thank you so much for reading!!! :)