Chapter 29: Just Us

Chapter 29

                     "Summer," said Dennis gently, holding his hands out delicately like she was a dangerous animal that could snap at any moment, "I told you... I'm only here for the baby."

                     A large fat tear slid down her cheek. "But you said..."

                     He sighed. "I know, I'm sorry. I can't."

                     I could almost see the steam coming out of her ears. "You jerk! How could you do this to me? Were you just leading me on?"

                     His eyes went wide. "No!" he said with a determined edge. "I would never do that, okay? Never."

                     From the look on her face, I could tell she believed him. But that didn't mean she wasn't still pissed. "So why the change of heart? Why can't we give this another shot?"

                     I pushed the door open a little more, peering through the small crack and straining my ears because suddenly, Dennis had lowered his voice. It was like he knew I was eavesdropping. 

                     "I'm sorry," he told her.

                     She sank into the nearest chair and buried her face into her hands. "There's somebody else, isn't there?"

                     I froze. Dennis's body went rigid, but he kept his face blank. His eyes flickered towards me and I realised that he had known I was listening in. We exchanged alarmed glances before focusing on Summer's sobbing form again.

                     "No," he said calmly. "There's nobody."

                     Summer looked up at him, glaring. "You don't think I know you? We were married - we still are! I know when you're lying, and you're doing it right now." She stood up abruptly and stepped closer to him. Nervously, he stumbled back and really, I didn't blame him. My sister could be scary when she wanted to be. "Who is it?"

                     He swallowed. "I'm not lying. There really is nobody-"

                     "Stop it," she interrupted quietly. Her voice was low and dangerous. "Stop lying."

                     He looked at her squarely. "I'm not lying. You have to believe me."

                     We both knew she didn't believe that, but she let it go anyway.

                     She shook her head in disbelief. "Think about the baby, Dennis! Can't we at least try for the baby?"

                     I narrowed my eyes. That was an unfair argument. She couldn't pressure him into it by mentioning the baby. Sure, he needed to be a father to it, but that didn't mean they had to begin a relationship just because of a baby. It shouldn't change things...

                     Dennis seemed to mirror my surprise. "My feelings can't be changed. Not even for the baby."

                     And I was so proud of him that it took every ounce of my strength to stay rooted to the spot, because right then, I wanted to shove the door open and leap into his arms. He'd never been in charge with Summer. She had this way of wrapping him around his little finger and making him do whatever. Even when they broke up, she somehow managed to keep him.

                     But he'd finally stuck up for himself. And Summer was furious about it.

                     "Fine," she said haughtily, her head high. She strode away from him and towards the door. I cursed under my breath and scurried back into my room before she reached it. While inside, I heard a door slamming and footsteps, getting fainter. 

                     I waited silently until she shut the front door, still unsure about why she was leaving, since she lived here. And then he came into my room, a sheepish smile plastered on his face.

                     I laughed. "She took it pretty well."

                     He wrapped his arms around my waist and swooped down for a kiss. "Yeah, she did. Considering she's Summer."

                     I stared up at him. "So... when do we tell her?"

                     A frown formed on his lips. "I'm not sure."

                     "Not yet," I replied, resting my forehead against his chest. "She won't take it too well if we suddenly announce it just after you two have broken up."

                     I wasn't quite sure if 'broken up' was the right term -- considering they hadn't really started dating again -- but Dennis didn't bother correcting me.

                     He nodded. "You're right."

                     "Besides," I responded, "how romantic is that? A secret relationship."

                     Smiling, he reached out and grabbed my hand, interlacing his fingers with mine. "I know."

                     An idea suddenly struck me and it took all I had to not grin.

                     "You know..." I said, reaching out to fiddle with his tie. I didn't tighten it or loosen it. "Gina won't be back for hours. We have the place to ourselves."

                     His eyes lit up. "Yeah?"

                     Chuckling, I pulled away. "Typical reaction."

                     "Wait, you weren't serious?" he asked, eyes wide. "Oh my God, I'm so sorry-"

                     I placed a finger on his lips, silencing him. "I was kidding," I told him. "Of course I was serious. A girl has needs."

                     I stood on my tiptoes, locked my arms around his neck and brushed my lips against his. It was soft and fragile and I could tell he wanted more. He bit down on my lip, asking for entrance. I gave it willingly, and the kiss deepened.

                     We backed up to the bed and lay down, his lips never leaving mine. He shifted so that he hovered over me and slowly kissed his way up my neck to my lips.

                     "You are so beautiful," he told me, his hands sliding down my arms until he reached the edge of my shirt. Gathering up the fabric in his hands, he pushed it up above my head and tossed it onto the floor. "So, so beautiful..."

                     I melted under his touch, his kiss and the way his skin felt agaist mine. Everything about it felt right.

                     "I love you," I said between heavy breaths.

                     "I love you too."

                     And, just for a while, I forgot everything else in the world except him.

_________________________________________________________________

Christmas is next week! XD I need to write a letter to Santa lol ;)

I won't elaborate on what Ali and Dennis were about to do because this is PG-13... Anyway, sorry this is kinda late. But there's no more school so I'll have loads of time now! :)

<< VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

And comment too! :D