Chapter 30: Lies

Chapter 30

                 I couldn't stop smiling. Literally. It was like there was a hook attached to my mouth, forcing it upwards for so long that my jaw began to hurt. But the giddy feeling inside my chest made it impossible to stop.

                 "What are you so happy about?" asked Gina curiously.

                 I sighed dreamily. "I have a new respect for life."

                 She snorted. "You had sex, didn't you?"

                 Now that made my smile drop. "W-what? No!"

                 "Don't even bother lying," she responded, taking a bite out of her toast. 

                 I shrugged. "Okay. I had sex and it was amazing. There's a lot to smile about, Gee."

                 She grimaced. "Ew, I don't want to know about it." Her eyes darted to the clock and then back to mine. "Hurry up and eat, or we'll be late for work."

                 I nodded and started pouring some milk out, when a loud yawn sounded. I froze and then looked over my shoulder to see Summer sprawled out on our couch. How had we forgotten she was there? Did she hear what we were saying?

                 "Hey," said Summer, sitting up and looking at us with tired eyes. "What's this I hear? My little sister isn't a virgin?"

                 I rolled my eyes, pretending to look casual. "I'm twenty-six, of course I'm not."

                 She snickered. "So who's the poor unlucky guy?"

                 I was so glad neither of us had mentioned Dennis's name.

                 "Nobody," I replied innocently, bringing the glass of milk to my lips so I wouldn't have to talk again. Summer narrowed her eyes slightly, analysing my expression. I looked away guiltily and fixed my gaze on the floor.

                 A few seconds of silence passed.

                 "Anyone I know?" she asked.

                 "You don't know anyone I know," I told her, trying to laugh, but I think she could tell it was forced. "Besides Gee."

                 Summer turned to Gina. "Do you know?"

                 "No," she said quickly.

                 Summer didn't look convinced, but she just shrugged. "Okay."

                 "Uh," I said abruptly, indicating to the clock, "we really do have to go."

                 "You haven't ate anything, though," Gina pointed out.

                 I shrugged on my jacket and then snatched my purse from the counter, carefully avoiding any eye-contact with Summer. "I'll get something on the way there," I mumbled, rushing to the door.

                 Gina raised an eyebrow but said nothing, following me.

                 "Bye guys," Summer called.

                 I grunted in response and, after I shut it, I leaned against the door. "Oh my God, she knows!"

                 Gina sighed. "Calm down-"

                 "I can't!" I hissed. "She knows!"

                 She caught my arm and pulled me away from the door. We strode out of the building, me trailing behind slightly from nerves.

                 Could she know? My sister was very observant and she knew when I was lying. Plus, it hadn't helped that I'd acted totally guilty - which I was. But the most she could know is that I was hiding something, right? I mean, she'd have to be pyschic to figure out it was Dennis...

                 Or maybe just really good at guessing.

                 "Will you stop worrying?" Gina said tiredly as we hopped onto the bus. "She can't know for sure."

                 "But you suspected, didn't you?" I replied anxiously. "When I told you I was dating him, you admitted that you kinda saw it coming!"

                 It was a fair argument but she didn't hesitate. "Yeah, because I saw you two together every day. Whenever she's seen you and him together, you've acted normal."

                 I nodded, but still couldn't help that nagging feeling at the back of my head, telling me she knew.

**

                 By the time we reached the restaurant, we were on time. Which was strange for us, because Gina and I tended to be early. The kitchen was packed and, once again, I noticed how Lisa was missing.

                 Everyone was too busy chatting to notice me walk up to Dennis. Except Gina, of course, who was looking at us with curiosity.

                 "Hey," I muttered, feeling the smile trying to force through again. With difficulty, I pushed it back down. "Where's Lisa?"

                 He looked at me and I could see a smile tugging at his lips too. "Hello to you too."

                 I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, hi. Now answer the question."

                 He sighed. "I, uh, had to let her go."

                 Okay. I'd been expecting that. "Why?"

                 Dennis shook his head. "It's nothing, really."

                 Now I was really curious. "No, tell me."

                 He looked at me out of the corner of his eyes and then stepped forwards. "Alright, enough chitchat, everyone. It's time for some cooking."

                 And I knew that meant me too, so I retreated back to my station.

                 "What's up?" Gina asked.

                 I nodded towards the helpers as we took the first order. "Have you noticed how Lisa is suddenly missing?"

                 She followed my gaze. "Oh. No, I didn't actually. Where is she?"

                 I leaned close. "She got fired," I whispered.

                 She laughed out loud. "Seriously? What did she do?"

                 I pulled a face. "He won't tell me," I said, sounding childish. 

                 Gina laughed. "Whatever, I'm just glad she's gone."

                 I nodded and let my gaze drift towards Dennis. What did she do? It can't have been that she just wasn't good enough, because he would've told me. And why was he being so quiet about it?

                 Whatever it was, I didn't like thinking about it. But when I didn't think about that, I just thought about Summer... 

______________________________________________________________________

What's this? Another update already? Yes! :D

<< VOTE!

:)

And comment!!