Chapter 36: The End

Chapter 36

              "You know, I could use a hand with these boxes, Dennis."

              I kicked the door open and walked blindly into the house. The box in my hands was so big I couldn't see right in front of me. And it was really heavy. 

              Suddenly, the weight disappeared and I could feel my arms again. My eyes fell on a pair of sapphire blue ones. I smiled as Dennis walked ahead and set the last of my stuff on the floor. And that was it. I had officially moved in with him.

              "Thanks," I said with a lazy smile. 

              He wound two arms around my waist and leaned forward. "No problem, roomie."

              I tipped my head up to place a light kiss on his lips. "Happy birthday."

              A grimace crossed his face and he pulled away. "Ugh. Please, Ali, stop saying that."

              "Aw," I cooed, nudging him in the side with my elbow, "is someone upset about hitting the big three-oh?"

              He stared at me flatly. "I'm old, Ali. It's depressing."

              I stepped forward and smiled innocently. "But I got you a present."

              "You moving in is enough for me."

              I ignored the warmth spreading through my chest. It was a sweet and romantic thing to say, but he was just trying to change the subject. 

              I reached into the box he'd just put down, rumaged through it, and finally took out a neatly wrapping present. He took one look at it and then tossed it onto the floor.

              My eyes widened. "You-"

              His lips crashed against mine, silencing me. At first, I was annoyed, and didn't respond. But I came through in the end. I enjoyed the feeling too much and soon enough, my arms were locked around his neck and there was nothing in the world except for him.

              "We need to unpack," I said against his lips.

              He pulled away slightly but didn't let go of me. "I can think of better things to do."

              I laughed, placing my hands on his chest and pushing him away. "No thanks. Old men don't do it for me."

              He scowled. "Hey!"

              Suddenly, my mobile went off from inside my pocket. Digging it out, I answered it without looking to see who it was. "Hello?"

              "Ali?" Ian said. 

              "Oh, hey," I said. "What's up? Is Summer okay?"

              Ian chuckled slightly. "Not really. She's gone into labour."

              "What?" I cried. It shouldn't have been a surprise to me. She was nine months gone and had been due 'any day now'. "Oh my God! I'm coming!"

              I hung up without waiting for a reply. "Summer," I told Dennis. He didn't need to hear more than that. In five seconds flat, we were out of the house.

**

              Hospitals always gave me the chills. They were just so... plain. It was a fear me and Summer had shared, ever since our favourite uncle had died in hospital when we were kids. And I, especially, didn't like them, since it had only been around six months since the accident.