Chapter 31: Lisa

Chapter 31

                “I really, really hate you.”

                I pouted. “I think we both know that’s a lie.”

                Gina glared at me and folded her arms across her chest. Childishly, she turned her head away from me and didn’t speak to me for the rest of the bus ride. But that was okay, she’d crack eventually.

                When we finally reached our stop, we paid the driver and were on our way. Gina still had that grumpy I-am-going-to-kill-you-later look on her face and we walked in silence.

                I glanced at the address in Violet’s scrawled writing and then looked at the house in front of us. Yep, this was definitely the place. Hesitantly, I knocked on the door, wondering if Violet might have gotten the address wrong. Surely... surely she couldn’t afford a house of her own—

                The door swung open.

                Lisa gaped at me.

                “Ali?” she exclaimed. “Gina? What... What the fuck?”

                “Hey,” I said calmly. I forced a smile. “May we come in?”

                “No,” she said without hesitation.

                “No?” Gina asked incredulously. “Let’s rephrase. Either you let us in or we force our way in. Your choice.”

                Lisa scowled, tossed her blonde hair angrily and stepped aside to let us in. I mumbled a quick thank-you when Gina wasn’t looking and stepped in. Once inside, I stared.

                The house was big. And when I say big – I mean big. I couldn’t understand how someone like Lisa could afford such a place like this. And if she was rich, why was she working as a helper at a restaurant?

                Lisa tapped her foot. “Okay. What do you want?” she asked, getting straight to the point.

                “We want to know why Dennis fired you,” I replied.

                Surprise was written all over her face but she recovered quickly.

                “Not that it’s any of your business, but he didn’t fire me,” she said irritably. “I didn’t quit either. It was a... mutual agreement. I couldn’t work there anymore and he understood and let me go.”

                I blinked. “Oh.”

                “Why couldn’t you work there anymore?” Gina demanded.

                “It’s none of your business,” she repeated and pursed her lips. “Now, if you don’t mind...” She trailed off and nodded towards the door.

                Gina shook her head. “Listen,” she said in a strained but gentle voice, “we just want to know what’s going on.”

                “Why?” she yelled, throwing her arms up in exasperation. “It doesn’t have anything to do with you, alright? We’re not even friends!”

                “Yes,” I said slowly, “but Dennis is my boyfriend. He’s keeping something from me.”

                She paused briefly. “You’re going out with Dennis?”