Chapter 12: Gina's News

Pic of Gina >>>

-- Ali's POV--

“No.”

                Gina did not agree with me.

                “It’s payback,” I said in a hard voice. I would’ve thought she would agree with me. “And you know what they say: payback’s a bitch.”

                “Think about Dennis,” she said quietly. “You’re going to hurt him. He’s already had his heart shattered by Summer, do you really want to make him go through that again?”

                “Ah,” I said, realising she was right. I felt a stab of guilt for even thinking about it. “I guess that plan’s a no-go, then.”

                “There are other ways,” Gina said thoughtfully, resting her chin on her hand. “We could always let Dennis in on it.”

                “Nah,” I shook my head. “He won’t. He still loves her.”

                “Well,” said Gina, stumped. “You can at least take your job back, can’t you? Everyone misses you. Except Lisa, of course.”

                Again, I shook my head.

                “No. I’d like to forget that place. It reminds me of her.”

                “You can’t let her ruin your life –“

                “It’s fine,” I replied, shrugging. Gina narrowed  her eyes suspiciously and I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Grinning, I reached into my handbag and took out an envelope, handing it to her. She took out the letter, unfolded it, and read.

                A smile slowly formed on her face.

                “You got the job!” Gina squealed, rushing to me to give me a hug.

                “Yeah,” I said as she tackled me into a bone-crushing hug. “Uh... Gee...” I wheezed. “Can’t... breathe...”

                “Oh!” she cried, releasing me and smiling sheepishly. “Sorry.”

                “It’s fine,” I told her, laughing. “I’m going to work at Kathmandu and put this whole thing behind me.”

                Gina’s smile faltered.

                “Are you sure you don’t want to come back? It’s not the same without you...”

                “Sorry,” I said, sighing. “It doesn’t feel right. Anyway, do you really think I want to see his smug smirk as soon as I enter? No, thank you.”

                “There’s... um, there’s a problem though.”

                “What?” I asked immediately.

                Gina looked at me and bit her lip. She looked guilty.

                “He, Dennis, said... if you don’t come back, I’m fired.”

                “What?!” I shrieked, my jaw dropping. My eyes were as wide as saucers – I couldn’t believe it. Why was he doing this?! “He – he can’t do that!

                But he was the boss. Of course he could.

                “It’s fine,” Gina said quickly. “He probably doesn’t mean it –“

                “Oh, he means it.”

                “What are you going to do?” she asked anxiously. That was one of the things I disliked about Gina. She thought that she had to ask – was it not obvious?

                “I’m going to work at the restaurant, of course!” I said in a duh voice.

                “B-but... you already got the job. The pay is better and –“ Gina started feebly.

                “Oh, Gee,” I said, laughing. “I put my friends before myself. You should know that by now.”

                “Thanks,” she breathed in relief.

                “What the hell is his problem?” I groaned, staring longingly at the acceptance letter before throwing it into the bin.

                This time it was Gina using the duh voice.

                “You don’t know?”

                “Uh, no,” I said, feeling stupid.

                “Nevermind,” she chuckled, shaking her head. “You can be so dense sometimes, Ali.”

                “Hey!” I cried indignantly. “I am not dense! Tell me!”

                “So what are you going to do about Summer?” asked Gina, steering the conversation away from herself. If it weren’t for the fact that she had a good point, I would’ve steered it right back at her.

                “I don’t know,” I grumbled, walking over to the counter where Summer’s lipstick lay. She still hadn’t come back to collect her stuff, so all her belongings lay cluttered everywhere in the apartment. I still didn’t have the heart to go back into my room. Gina and I had to sleep in her bed since she left.

                Now I understood those horrible texts Dennis had sent her. I had thought he had such a nerve to do that, but really, it was Summer. How had she had the nerve to ask for my help?

                I needed to do something to hurt her, but only her. I couldn’t pretend to steal Dennis from her, because then Dennis would be crushed once I’d succeeded. He’d hate me; he’d be exactly how I was when Ian crushed me. He’d have had his heart broken twice.

                Little did I know that by promising myself I would not go behind Summer’s back, I ended up doing just that.

_________________________________________________

Psssh! You guys thought Ali would be so insensitive that she'd use Dennis? Haha ;D