Chapter 7: Surprise!

-- Ali's POV --

It was as if Summer knew I was down without even asking me. She got me excited about her ‘surprise’, which took almost all negative thoughts out of my mind.

Almost all of them.

                Dennis’s lips against Lisa’s wouldn’t leave my mind. Why did he kiss her?! He was still married. Did he have no dignity? Then again, he had cheated before, so this was hardly surprising.

                It still bugged me though.

                It was a known fact that Summer was still hung up over him. I couldn’t tell her. But I’d still have to tell her I was fired. And then she’d think it was all her fault!

                Which it wasn’t. It was Lisa’s. That bitch.

                “Hey Summer, I’m back,” I called, turning the key in the lock. I didn’t get a reply when I walked inside. When I saw what was inside the kitchen, I dropped my keys in shock. “Oh...”

                “Ali!” she said sadly, frowning. “It’s ruined!”

                But I didn’t care. I didn’t care that she’d tried to bake me a cake and failed miserably. I didn’t care that the whole kitchen was filled with smoke. I didn’t even care that all the ingredients were strewn across the floor (though Gina would), because she’d tried to cook. For me.

                “Come here,” I whispered, gliding over to her and pulling her into a tight hug. Surprised, her hands stayed at her sides for a second before she gently hugged me back.

                “But why are you hugging me? I burnt it!”

                “It’s okay,” I said, grinning and pulling away from her. “You tried your best.”

                She smiled warmly.

                “I thought you were going to be angry!”

                “Gina will be,” I said, chuckling. “Come on, let’s clean this up.”

                “How come you got the day off, then?” she asked as we started to clean up. I started to collect the flour in a dustpan and sighed slightly. Just when I had forgotten about it...

                “Uh... I was ill,” I said lamely.

                “Oh,” she said vaguely. “Are you okay?”

                “Yeah, I’m fine now,” I answered just as distantly. She wasn’t listening, I knew it. When we finished cleaning up the kitchen, it was sparkling.

            “Now all we have to do is bin the cake...” Summer said quietly, her lips still curving downwards.

            I knew how she felt. When I was seven, I had tried to bake cupcakes from a recipe book. It didn’t end well when I went to watch to T.V. and then completely forgot about it. I remember how angry Mum had been.

            “Let’s eat it,” I said abruptly.

            “What?” Summer asked, looking at me as if I were crazy. “It’s burnt, Ali. You should know that, I thought you were a chef!”

            “I know that!” I said, laughing. “But let’s eat it anyway! To show that this wasn’t a failure!”

            “I don’t know,” said Summer, unsure.