Chapter 22: Jerk

-- Ali's POV --

         "So... where are you going again?"

         I slung my purse over my shoulder and raised my eyes to Gina's. Her gaze was so intensifying that I had to look away. 

         "Meeting a friend," I answered, fiddling nervously with the straps of my bag. Her eyes, a shade of colour so similar to Ian's, narrowed into slits.

         "Who?"

         "Is this really your business?" I asked with a sigh, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl and taking a bite. My eyes darted to the clock and then back to Gina, who now had her hands on her hips.

         She pursed her lips. "Seeing as I am your best friend, yes. Yes it is."

         "Nice try," I said, "but I'm still not telling you."

         She stomped her foot on the ground like a stubborn child. "You never tell me anything!" she said shrilly. "Like, who is your secret boyfriend? Is that who you're meeting? Why won't you tell me?"

         "Woah!" I cried, covering my ears. "Too many questions, Gee. Slow down."

         Gina could be over-protective. It wasn't a bad thing, but sometimes it got frustrating. She would act like a protective older sister... even though I was 26 and a grown adult. But I loved her for it, because she made up for my actual sister's absence. When I thought of Summer, my mind floated to Ian... who I was meeting.

         He'd bombarded me with phone calls and text messages, which, at first, I had tried to ignore, but they were so persistent that I eventually caved. Besides, it's not like anything was going to happen. I was going there to tell him to leave me alone, and maybe, just maybe, he would listen. He didn't really have much time to explain the other night, so I was giving him a chance.

         I know, I'm stupid.

         "Hello? Ali? Anyone home?"

         I blinked and snapped out of my daydream, only to find Gina frantically waving her hand in front of me. I frowned, grabbing her hand and forcing it down.

         "Don't interfere, Gee," I said sharply, taking one last bite of the apple before throwing it into the bin. "I'm a big girl."

         "I was only-"

         "I know," I said. And I did.

**

         I sat on the bench, looking pretty stupid. A grown woman in a park, sitting on a bench and watching the birds, surrounded by laughing children, would look strange. But this is where Ian had wanted to meet - and I knew why.

         This is the park where we met. I was having a rough time, dealing with things to do with my bitch of a sister, and I decided to sit in the park in the evening when it was quiet. I was just staring into space and then he came. At first I was wary - who wouldn't be? But then we got talking, and things just led on from there.

         With a glance at my watch, I realised I was actually early. I knew I didn't want to sit here idle so I stood up and strolled towards to the swings. I sat down on one of the unoccupied swings and before I knew it, I was soaring in the air.

         I felt just like a kid.

         "Ali!"

         My head snapped up and I saw Ian walking over to me, a sheepish smile on his face. I placed my foot on the floor as a brake and it skidded, causing the swing to slow down.

         "I'm only here to tell you to stay away," I warned him.

         "We both know that isn't true," he replied, "because we both know you still love me."

         I stared flatly at him. "Believe it or not, but I have moved on. You had your chance, and you blew it."

         He sat down on the swing next to me. "Do you know why we're here? Do you remember?"

      "Of course," I breathed and couldn't help taking in our surroundings. The girls and boys crashing down the slide, their laughter filling the air, the parents staring at them with loving smiles, the old couples taking leisurely walks. The trees, the grass, the nature. 

         "Can we at least be friends?" he asked, a trace of hopefullness in his voice.

         I shook my head. 

         "Why?" he said, exasperated. 

         "It's not a good idea," I responded vaguely, thinking of Dennis and his reaction if I had agreed. Boy, would he be angry.

         "Ali, look at me."

         I realised I had been looking at the ground. Hesitantly, I lifted my head up and gasped. He was closer than I thought, his nose almost touching mine, his breath now on my face.

         "What are you..?" I trailed off, seeing something flash in his eyes. I knew what he was about to do before he did it. "N-"

         Ian's hands went to the back of my head and forced my forward, closing the distance between us. His lips crashed against mine, ignoring my protests. Electricity jolted though me and I felt my heart quicken in surprise. I didn't respond, instead shoving at his chest roughly. He fell back, surprised.

         "You jerk!" I shrieked, wiping my lips with the sleeves of my shirt, disgusted. 

         "Wait-"

         I stood up abruptly and glared down at him with such hatred that he seemed to shrink away from me. "You fucking jerk."

         "You liked it!" he cried, his voice full of delight. Ian stood up too and gave me a smile. "You kissed me back, Ali! There was something there!"

         "You're delusional," I said with anger. "You cannot just crawl back to me after two years and then kiss me!"

         "But-"

         "No," I growled, backing away from him, shaking my head vehemently. "We're over and you've got to accept that."

         And, before he could utter another word, I stalked off. I was fuming, my fists were clenched, my teeth were gritted, my eyes were watering. I heard him call after me, just like he had on that night two years ago, but, also like that night, I did not listen and kept going.

         But one thought kept going through my mind.

         I did like it.

__________________________________________________________

Lol sorry it's short. I have a ton of homework to do and it's like half 12 at night! 15 votes and I'll give you a double update? Can't think of a name for this chapter right now :L

<< VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

:) for a DOUBLE UPDATE.