Chapter 34: Hospital

-- Summer's POV --

                The doorbell rang.

                “Oh thank God,” I whispered, as everyone bolted from their seats. It was way past midnight and finally—finally—Ali had come home. We’d been so worried when she suddenly disappeared. She wasn’t answering her phone. I was the first to reach the door and I almost yanked it from its frame as I twisted the doorknob and pulled. “Ali, you are in—”

                It wasn’t Ali at all.

                “Is this the residence of Alison Jenkins?” asked the police officer. There were two of them. I stared blankly. I opened my mouth to reply, but the words were stuck in my throat.

                Why are there police officers?! Where’s Ali?

                “It is,” Gina said.

                “And who are you?” the second officer asked me.

                I swallowed. “Her sister.”

                The pair exchanged anxious glances before focusing on the four of us again. I felt ready to collapse at this point. A horrible gut feeling told me Ali wasn’t okay after all.

                I was right.

                “I’m afraid Alison has been in an accident.”

                There was an intake of breath from the other three, but not me. I wasn’t breathing at all.

                “No,” Gina choked out.

                “W-what happened?” Dennis demanded, stepping forward. He was trying to keep calm, fighting for control. But I could see the tears shining in his eyes.

                “We need to see her!” I screeched, heart slamming against my chest. I swirled around and hurriedly snatched my jacket from off the sofa.

                “Come with us.”

**

                I clenched my fists, nails digging so hard into my skin I knew I would start bleeding soon. It probably hurt—I don’t know. I was too preoccupied. In body, I was sitting on a bench in the hospital, waiting for news. In mind, I was somewhere else entirely—with Ali.

                “Is that your boyfriend?” Ali asked as I joined her.

                She nodded towards Jonny. I turned back around and caught him staring at us—well, me. I smiled shyly, before twisting back around and facing Ali.