Chapter 4: Confonting Summer

-- Ali’s POV --

“Summer!” I roared as I opened the door, flinging the keys onto the sofa. Gina followed me in, looking very annoyed. “Get out here, S.”

                She crept into the hallway, looking devastated. Tears were rolling down her cheeks, smudging her mascara. Her face was scrunched up.

                Forgetting my previous anger, I strode over to her and took her into a hug. “What’s up? What happened?”

                “It... it was our one year anniversary!” she bawled, crushing my ribs as she hugged me.

                “What did he do?” I asked darkly. “Did he wish you?”

                She pulled away and mopped her eyes carefully. “No,” she mumbled, shaking her head. “H-he sent me this!”

                Summer pulled out her mobile and showed me a text from Dennis.

                I saw your sister today. Why didn’t you tell her I was working there? You’re pathetic. D.

                “That jerk!” I yelled. “He’s not even sorry, is he?!”

                “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you, Ali. I – I couldn’t bear the thought!”

                I sighed. “No, it’s fine, Summer.”

                Gina cast me a look. I shook my head slightly, indicating that I wasn’t going to say anything more about it. Understanding, she scowled at me.

**

-- Summer’s POV --

                I hated him! Why did I even think he would want to wish me a happy anniversary? He was so cold-hearted! Even I had the decency to text him, why couldn’t he just text me back? Why did I bother texting that jerk anyway? After what he did to me? He doesn’t deserve it.

                I deleted the text.

                Then, out of fury, I flung the phone away from me. It smashed against the wall, then crumpled to the floor in pieces.

                “Summer?” said Ali from outside, knocking quietly. “Uh... you okay? I heard something from inside your room.”

                “Yeah, I'm fine!” I called back.

                I wasn’t really. That phone cost me a fortune. Well, it cost Dennis a fortune. I chuckled.

**

Sorry it’s SO short! I have school :/ xx