Chapter 20: The Past

-- Ali's POV --                 

              I was sitting cross-legged on the carpet floor, staring at some photo albums that I had found at the very bottom of my bed. The photos had everything - from when Summer and me were children, to when I was an adult and dating Ian. It was hard to look at his face, even now. 

              The clock ticked. It was seven o'clock and I was alone in the apartment. Gina had gone out for a date, and probably wouldn't be back for at least a couple of hours. The TV was off and the only sounds came from the clock and my breathing.

              There were no pictures of Dennis in any photo album, since I had barely knew him. There were plenty of pictures of Summer though. She and I weren't exactly best friends when we were growing up - in fact, we were quite nasty to each other sometimes - but we had our good days. 

              It felt odd to sit in the living room in silence and look at old pictures. I guess I missed her, and Ian too. 

              When I reached the last photo, a smile cracked onto my face. It was taken two years ago, only weeks before I found out about Summer and Ian, and when we had a huge fight. We were in the snow, with our poor excuse for a snowman next to us. 

              Her name was Sali - pronounced Sally. Her name was a combination of Summer and Ali, and she stood there for quite a few days until the warm sun had melted her. We were actually quite proud of Sali because she was our first ever snowman, or snowwoman I should say.

              That day was probably one of the last times we had got on with each other. I still couldn't imagine how she had lied to me. I'm in the exact same position and I can't get rid of that nagging voice in the back of my mind, reminding me what a terrible sister I'm being. But there she was, looking as cheerful as ever. Not a trace of guilt in those sparkling sky-blue eyes.

              It was now becoming clear how alike me and my sister were. 

              When we were children, all I had ever wanted was to be like my sister. She was everything I was not: smart, beautiful and popular. Although they would never admit it, I knew my parents always preferred her over me. Nobody really bothered about me. When relatives came around to visit, it was always Summer they would ask for. At Christmas, it was always Summer who got the better presents. At school, it was always Summer who had all the friends.

              Never once was it me.

              Even when adults, when I thought everything was going right for me, she still had to have to upper hand. She slept with Ian, the potential love of my life. He was never the same after that. He was still loving, but there was something off about him and it was only when I found out the truth, I realised what it was. Guilt.

              I could still remember that horrible day when I found out, like it was only yesterday.

**

~2 Years Ago~

              "Ian?" I called as I shut the door, tossing the keys onto the table and shrugging off my jacket. It was still as cold as ever outside, but the snow had finally stopped. When Ian did not reply, I was confused. Was he not here yet? But that was impossible, today was his day off. He always spent Saturdays on the couch, being as lazy as possible.

              "Ian?" I tried again, peeking my head through the living room door, but it was empty. Then I tried the kitchen, and there he was.