Chapter 32: A Close Shave

Chapter 32

                “You have to leave now.”

                Dennis mumbled sleepily, his arms around me tightening.

                I wanted him to stay, but it was too risky. “Seriously,” I said, peeling his arms off of me, “we don’t want Summer coming home to find you here.”

                The familiar queasy feeling appeared in the pit of my stomach again at the mention of her name. When I didn’t think about her, the guilt would just fade to the back of my mind, but when I did, it would come crashing down again.

                He sighed heavily and sat up. I stared. He was still wearing trousers, but his chest was bare. He noticed and grinned.

                “Take a picture. It’ll last longer.”

                Blushing, I grabbed his shirt and threw it at him. “Shut up.”

                He took his time putting his shirt on. I wondered if he did it on purpose. “Why don’t we go to my house?”

                I shook my head. “Summer and I are going out. She wants us to spend more time together, to be like sisters should be.”

                He wrapped an arm around my waist and began planting kisses on my neck. “Wouldn’t you rather spend time with your boyfriend?” he murmured.

                I closed my eyes and let myself enjoy the feeling. I could never think straight when he was kissing me.

                “Yes,” I said slowly. I forced myself to gently push him away. My voice was as weak as my will when I said, “But I’m still going with her.”

                His eyes sparkled. “I bet I could change your mind.”

                He probably could.

                My eyes darted towards the clock. “You really have to go.”

                He didn’t move. He rolled onto his side and rested his head on his elbow. His expression had changed to something more serious. “I want to talk about something first. Lisa told me about yesterday.”

                My heart skipped a beat. “W-what?”

                The way his mood had so quickly changed frightened me. Was he angry? He should be. I went behind his back to investigate something that was none of my business... I cursed myself for trusting Lisa. Of course she would tell him. I actually felt kind of sad. I thought she’d changed from a spiteful bitch to a genuine human being. I guess I was wrong.

                “You had no right to do that,” he continued darkly. “I told you it was nothing.”

                “I’m sorry,” I said weakly, running a hand through my tangled hair, “I just didn’t like being kept in the dark. And it wasn’t nothing, like you said.”

                I wasn’t accusing him, he knew that. I was just simply stating it. I just wanted to defend myself.

                “Because she wanted me to say that,” he responded quietly, his voice softer than before. “She wanted it to be kept private.”