New York, the big apple of my heart: Chapter 42

At home, I've been avoiding everyone.

I am not talking to Mom. And she's not talking to me either. She's very proud of having that new step daughter, that is everything she'd wished for: beautiful, sexy, captain of the cheerleading squad, perfect, helps her a lot...Instead she got me. She's now being the perfect, caring mother to an ungrateful bitch that isn't even her real daughter. Which is why I've been avoiding Lizzie too. She thinks that when Coach Nancy Rodriguez declared her captain of her cheeleading team, she made the right choice choosing her. And put her on top of the hierarchy of that stupid school. She's now THE queen. In collaboration with Lauren Moffat, who quit cheerleading for some unknown reasons. God knows what that girl is capable of. Oh yeah, and she's Leo's soon-to-be girlfriend, according to Lizzie. She and her best friend are having some rebounds as for hooking them up together. Which is why I've been avoiding Leo too. And he's been avoiding me. I wonder what those evil girls told him. I really don't want to get kicked in the butt, which is what Lizzie and Lauren've been threatening me of.

I've been calling Barrett and Mark quite often, and e-mailing Dad and Claudia too. And Chloey and I have been getting along well. I met her family last night. Her parents are so kind and loving. I wish I had parents that great.

When I came home today, there was a woman sitting in our living room with Mom.

"Oh, hi sweetie," Mom smiled, showing her big pearly whites. I'm sure she's embarrassed of me in front of her friend. I wonder if she put me down and criticised me, and then went off about how Lizzie is great, and Lizzie is so pretty..."I want you to meet my friend, Holly."

"Hi," Holly and I shook hands. She looked...familiar.

"Hello, I'm Holly Roberson."

Holly Roberson. That rang a bell. I heard that name somewhere. I just can't remember where.

"Nice too meet you, Holly."

"Great," she said with a southern accent. "Cause I'll be staying here with y'all here for a while!"

What?

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah," Mom replied, "She'll be staying in our apartment."

Wait, OUR apartment? I've been living in our apartment.

"But mom, I'm in our apartment."

"Well, it's time for things to change. You're part of this family. You should live with this family. And this family lives here, so...I guess you'll be too."

"No. Can I talk to you in the kitchen? Mom ?"

"Emily, stop being rude. We have a guest."

"Oh it's fine, cowgirl. I'll be right here to calm you down in case you two chicks kill each other!"

Mom followed me to the kitchen, rolling her eyes.

"What were you thinking, Mom? I am living in our apartment. You can't throw me out to put some chick you don't even know!"

"Oh yes I can. Look, Emily, it's not that hard. I've given you some space since the wedding. Now things have got to change. You're part of this family too, Emily."

"No, I am so not part of this family. I am not even welcome in this family. Lizzie? She's a psycho. Leo? I can't even talk to him. And worse, I still have feelings for him. But I can't go anywhere near him because of his sister who wants to hook him up with Lauren Moffat. And you...You're selfish. You didn't even think about me when you married George. You. You were the one that ruined everything. I was planning on apologising, maybe try to move on. But the fact that my enemies and I live in the same house is hell. Our apartment? It was my loophole. The only place where I actually felt at home, and felt good about it."

"Well," she said. Her voice was dry. "You're gonna have to change that weird habit you've got going on there. I was Holly to stay there - and for as long as she wants. You do not get to lecture me, I am your mother."

"Well, you should have thought of that before thinking of having kids. You could have left me there. In Chicago, Mom. You could have left me there. If I was apparently  a mistake, or some sort of error, well, you shouldn't have faught so hard to keep me. I would have had a perfectly normal life. I would have had a charming stepmother, and two step brother and sister, that I would have known of, at least. And you could have lived a perfectly horny life, very dirty, with a lot of booze and sex, and wouldn't have bothered to call on birthdays and holidays. I would have been perfectly happy, and you too. So now, give me my apartment back, and you won't have to see me anymore."

"I don't care. You will be moving here. Even if I have to drag you by the roots of your hair, I will make you come here. I deserve some respect. Fine, I was a lousy mother. I was a failure, as a mother. If there were a price for the lousiest mother in the whole wide world I would have won it. But I...deserve some respect. I am not begging - I am ordering you to take your stuff from the apartment and move here. This discussion is over."

She went out. I sighed.