New York, the big apple of my heart: Chapter 33

The doctors that performed the surgery came to check on me a couple of minutes earlier. They informed me that Leo's transplant surgery went well, and that he should be waking up sooner or later.

As for Lizzie, she didn't come to check on me at all. I hadn't heard of her since the argument.

Dave came around five o'clock, he brought flowers and a box of chocolate truffles, my favorites.

I wished I had had my best friend to share the sweets with.

George checked on me too, and thanked me a hundred times for the piece of liver. I told him I was feeling better than ever, when the pain in my stomach was impossible to live with, despite the morphine they had put me on.

Now he's been sitting with Mom and Dave in my room for ten minutes. He was very pale. I wonder if he knew anything all of us didn't.

I felt sleepy, so I closed my eyes, hoping that I could take a nap to forget the pain and all the accidents that happened during this night.

I thought about Chicago, all the fun I'll have when I'll be there...

Wait a sec.

Oh my.

I looked at the time. 6 PM.

My plane was at 7:30 this morning.

I had missed my plane.

Dad must be worried sick.

"Mom, can you pass my phone over, please?"

"Sure thing, honey."

I had over ten messages from Dad.

6:30 Emily, I'm coming  myself to pick you up today from the airport.

7:00 Emily, change of plans: you'll have to take a taxi, I have an important meeting I can't miss, sorry

7:30 Emily, call me when your plane lands

10:00 Emily, where are you? Why haven't you called me yet?

10:25 I'm beginning to worry. Is something wrong? Has the plane been delayed or something?

10:45 I'm at the airport now, I don't see you anywhere. Your plane has landed over half an hour ago. Where are you?

11:00 I'm waiting, Emily. I'm worried sick. You're supposed to be out by now.

11:20 I'm calling your mother, Emily.

11: 22 Did you even make it to JFK?

11:30 Caroline's not answering her phone either. Are you two ignoring me for some reason? Is everything all right? Anyone hurt? Call me as soon as you get this. By eight tonight, if I don't get a call from you, I'm coming to New York myself to see what's going on

I bit my lip as I dialed Dad's number.

"Hello?" I heard Dad's voice.

"Hi dad, it's Emily."

"Oh my god, Emily," he sighed with relief. "Shh, shut up," he whispered to some kids' voices I could hear in background. "I've been worried sick about you all day. Is everything alright?"

"I'm fine. Sorry I didn't call you earlier, I just saw your messages."

"Emily, why do you have a phone if you just won't answer it? You're even worse than my own mom."

"I'm so sorry Dad. My friend got into an accident, and he needed a liver, quickly. I was the only available donor match so-"

"What? You donated part of your liver to some crazy teenager?"