New York, the big apple of my heart: Chapter 39

It was Saturday morning. I was feeling a little bit sad. I was leaving on Monday, after having so much fun with Claudia, Grandma, the kids, and, of course, Barrett and Mark.

Those two were surely the ones I was gonna miss the most. We had a very simple friendship, strong, but simple. We looked at each other with friendship-filled hearts, not with inpossible love and heartbrakes.

That was what I liked the most about them: we kept it simple. I knew it would stay that way forever.

Barrett and Mark didn't know each other at first. They went to two different schools, didn't have the same friends, didn't hang out at the same places, but I made them meet, and I can say they found they had lots in common, and they're very close now.

We went to the theatre together, we went to the movies, we met for lunch, sometimes dinner, I invited Barrett several times so that he would meet Claudia and Dad and the rest of the crew, and I can say they love him. He's even going to babysit Alice and Alex when no one's there, and for free!

This trip to Chicago, those new friends I made, those people I knew and saw again after all this long time, all of this made me forget the desperate and miserable Emily I was in New York, made me forget my troubles and get happy, made me chase all  my cares away.

***

 Everybody stood in line for my departure. Grandma, Catherine, Claudia, Mark, Barrett, Alice, Alex and Dad. I hugged each of them, Alice and Alex even began crying which made tears fill the eyes of everyone. "We love you, big sister," they said to me. I promised Barrett and Mark I'd call them, and the rest I'd come and visit more often.

On the way home, as I sat on my airplane seat near the window, I began worrying. I didn't know what had happened during those two idealistic weeks that I spent in Chicago. It felt like I'd switched planets and now was back to New York's trouble.

***

No one was waiting for me at the airport. Mom's Mustang had been sent to its habitat days ago. She'd promised she'd come and take me. Perhaps she forgot, or was still in Vegas.

I took a cab home. It was still early in the afternoon, so I decided to take a quick shower and run to the hospital. I had an hour or so before school ends, so Lizzie wouldn't be there. No, I didn't want to see her. I couldn't bare talking to her after what happened with Leo. I wonder how he's been. I began worrying about finding him in the hospital morgue, but immediately chased that thought out of my mind and tried to think positively.

***

A WEEK EARLIER

*LAUREN MOFFAT'S POV*

I took a glance at myself in the bathroom mirror, and applied some lipstick on. I tidied my hair, which was a mess after what I'd done to the taxi driver - that's my trick to get a free trip - . I unbuttoned an extra button to my white shirt, which made my black lace bra show a little, but I liked it that way.

Lizzie had borrowed my CD player for her brother. The doctor'd told her he was in a semi-coma, which meant he could listen and feel - barely, but still - so she took my CD player to make him listen to the most meaningful - and boring - songs of all times.

And now I needed it back. I had some customers in the afternoon, and wanted to play something nice for them in background. I read on the Internet it made the sex better. If it really did, maybe I'd make some extra cash, buy those leopard bra and matching string that are really hot.

"Hi," I told the man nurse that was at the desk. He wasn't bad at all. "Can you please guide me to Leo Thompson's bedroom, please?"

"Sure," he said flirtily. ''It's right over there," he pointed the room in the corner.