Chapter 20

It’s been a week since the fight at school and I haven’t been back since that day. Don’t get me wrong I’m not sitting here wallowing in self-pity or some crap like that. I’ve been suspended from school because of the fight. I haven’t really talked to anyone at school since that day either.

I’m so embarrassed and hurt from what happened. I am a little worried about what Chris is going to say next time I see him especially since I haven’t seen or spoken to him since that day. Don’t think that he hasn’t tried seeing me because that boy has been to my house every single day but I keep locking myself in my room when anyone shows up at the house.

I was depressed and drank for a few days but now I’m just to the point of I don’t care. I didn’t even have to go back to school Monday since they just called Tuesday morning and left a voicemail on my answering machine saying I was suspended until the following Monday. I don’t really give a crap nor do I feel that bad about what happened; she deserved it.

I wanted to contact Chris but now I’m scared to. We weren’t even together for a full day before something happened and I ran away. What if he doesn’t want to be with me anymore? What if he can’t handle the drama or my outburst? What am I going to do if he says we can’t be together anymore? I mean I just got him back in my life and now I might lose him all over again.

I’m so confused and scared not to mention that my emotions are on freak out mode since dad is supposed to come home today. He doesn’t even know that I got suspended yet. I’m sincerely hoping that he will still be in a semi good mood when he comes back. When he left we were kind of in a good place. I’m just hoping that we can stick with that and not have to deal with the pain anymore.

I’m broken out of my thoughts when I hear the front door open and slammed close. I frown a little and scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. No one I know would slam the door to my house. So who the hell is here?

‘ELIZABETH LYNN ROSS, GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE NOW!’ He bellowed.

Dad is home.

Those words and that voice send ice through my veins and the blood out of my head. I knew he was coming home today but I have no words right now. I thought we were doing good, so why is he yelling at me right now?

‘I KNOW YOU HEARD ME! GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE! NOW! IF YOU ARE NOT DOWN HERE WITHIN THE NEXT 30 SECONDS I AM COMING UP TO YOU!’

As soon as I hear those words I quickly sprint from my seat on my bed towards my door. I curse under my breath when I realize the door isn’t opening because I have been keeping it locked. I quickly flip the locks before I run down the stairs as quickly as I can without busting my butt.

When I reach the bottom of the stairs I skid to a stop when I see the murderous look on my dad’s face. I take a hesitant step back but immediately stop when I see him clench his fists and grind his teeth. I try to keep my face emotionless as I speak.

‘Hi dad.’

Apparently those words were the wrong choice because the next thing I know he is springing across the distance between us. I’m slammed against the wall with a firm hand wrapped around my throat. My fight or flight response kicks in and I quickly reach up and start clawing at his hands.

My eyes widen and start watering as I’m trying to squeeze tiny amounts of air past his harsh grip. I jerk my gaze towards him with tear filled eyes; pleading him to let me go. He loosens up only enough where I can start sucking more air into my lungs.

After a moment I look back up at him and his face is like stone. There is no compassion, love, guilt, nothing; just a mask where the only thing for certain is anger. I furrow my brows in confusion at him; I thought we were doing so well when he left and now he looks angrier than I have ever seen him I think.