Epilogue: The Key to happiness

One Year Later

I ran downstairs, still getting used to living in a house with multiple stories, the moment I heard the car in the driveway. My roommate, Suzy, was busy getting picture perfect for a date with her secret boyfriend whose name she wouldn't disclose. It had been four months since I'd moved into Lacy's Mansion, at her request, and two months since Suzy and I became roommates.

These Days, Lacy Calvin had left California to take a job as a professor in a small town in Washington, surprising even me with the drastic lifestyle change. And even though I didn't expect her to come back, she refused to sell her house. I guess she felt nostalgic about her place, so she held onto it. It was a strange transition, going from a tiny studio apartment to a giant palace, so I'd invited Suzy to move in as well, with Lacy's permission. We were good roommates, and she kept me company while my boyfriend was off travelling the world with his band. But tonight I didn't need her companionship, and I didn't need to distract myself with a weekly "three amigos" movie extravaganza or by planning someone's wedding down to the finest detail. Tonight, Andrew was coming home to me. I was so excited when he pulled up that I tripped on the stairs, causing Suzy to drop her blow dryer and come check on me.

"Jesus, Ann, what is the matter with you?"

"I fell down," I said, getting up with her assistance.

"Ok," Suzy said. "Do me a favor, and don't make like bunnies until I leave, ok?"

"How do you know we're going to make like bunnies? We could have a g-rated evening."

"Yeah right," Suzy said. "Your dad might believe you, but I know better. It's your one year anniversary, and that is a romantic anniversary."

It was still hard for me to believe we'd made it a whole year with no drama, no breakups, and that we were on a good path. I didn't know where things were heading exactly, but I knew I loved Andrew. And despite Suzy's prompting that I needed to sow my wild oats, I liked that Andrew would the one and only guy I'd be with.

"I'm just excited he's home," I said. "I got to go." I said.

I ran downstairs and flung open the door, not bothering to shut it behind me. I jumped into his arms, and Andrew caught me and spun me around. I kissed him and he chuckled as he was met my zealous smothering.

"I missed you," I whispered. "It's nice to see you face to face."

"You too," Andrew said. "So, I was thinking we could go out and get some dinner, maybe even some Thai food."

"Or we could stay in," I said. "I have some takeout in the fridge and Suzy is heading out for her mystery date soon."

"Don't you want me to take you out on a fancy date and lavish you with presents?"

"Presents, yes," I said. "But tonight, I'm not sharing you. Besides, Suzy has informed me that the one year anniversary is a great reason to lock ourselves in the bedroom and not come out."

"Well I can't argue with that logic," Andrew said. "Let me get your present first."

He popped his trunk and grabbed a small black box, which looked vaguely like a ring box. My heart felt like it could explode from the sight and I stammered while trying to respond.

"It's not an engagement ring," he laughed. "Although, it probably would be if I thought you'd say yes."

"I won't even be twenty one until next month, Andrew. I want to marry you, someday. But we have time to get there."

"I know," Andrew said. "You'll just have to see what it is, I guess."

"Ok," I said. "But mine is upstairs, in the bedroom."