Chapter 15: Dating Dangers (Part Two)

"Ann, we need to talk," dad said. "But first, I need a word with your boyfriend. What did I say about touching my little girl?"

My Dad stalked over and looked Andrew straight in the eye, causing Andrew to squirm. My dad could be very intimidating. And considered we'd just been caught making out in a, well, compromising position of sorts, he had reason to squirm

"This isn't what it looks like," Andrew said. "I am so sorry."

"Andrew, take a breath. Dad, this is not as bad as it looks. But even if it had been, I am an adult. You can't just walk in here, you need to knock before entering my home."

"Honestly, you're lecturing me about knocking? I just caught you with your legs around some guy."

"In the privacy around my own home," I said. Andrew and I were moving apart at this point. I was planning to stand my ground, but I also needed to diffuse the situation.

"I had a right to burst in here, young lady. I was a little bit furious."

"Why?" I asked. "I mean, I get why you're mad now, but why were you mad before."

"I guess I just wanted to know why you filled a prescription for birth control using our family insurance. They called to tell me to tell me it was ready for pick up, so I swung by the drug store. I thought I'd be helpful, and then I saw what it was."

"What? Ann, what is he talking about?"

"Dad, this is not a conversation I want to have in front of Andrew."

"Really? Because I want to know why my little girl never orders any contraceptives until she meets some good looking guitarist..."

"Dad, Jesus, Andrew doesn't know about my...prescription choices. Let's go outside, right now."

"Fine," Dad said. Poor Andrew looked like he had been hit by a truck and was extremely confused. I dragged my Dad out into the hallway and put my hands on my hips, frowning.

"Well, it appears I've angered you Ann. But you can't expect me to sit back while you're..."

"What, living my own life? Dad, seriously, you just severely embarrassed me. I'll have you know, there are more than one reasons to want birth control. It can help with, you know, female problems. Also, I just thought I wanted to be prepared in case someday I wanted to go there with someone. And do you really think I would sleep with some guy that I've known for less than a month?"

"I don't know."

"Not that it's any of your business, Dad, since I am an adult. But I've never...I'm still...you know."

"So I just made an ass of myself," he said.

"No, you made an ass of me. Dad, we were honestly just kissing. And now, Andrew is probably wondering why I'm on the pill and if I was planning on us having sex. I am not ready to have that conversation with him yet. The word sex is not in our vocabulary right now, not until you put it there."

"Well, next time I'll knock."

"Dad, I'm a woman now. You have to learn how to deal with that. Someday I'm going to have sex."

"For the love of God, I don't need to hear this."

"No, you do," I said. "Because you are overprotective and controlling. When I do decide I'm ready, I will make the call. Not you, not Andrew, just me. So you can butt out."

"God, I miss your mother," Dad said.

"Me too," I said. "Anything else you'd like to add."

"Look, clearly you don't need my advice," Dad said. "But do me a favor, ok? Slow things down with that boy. You are just like your mother, and she was very passionate. You tend to fall in love hard and fast and wear your heart on your sleeve. You cried over that Robert character for months, because he didn't feel the same way. I can tell Andrew, he knows how lucky he is. But it's still important to slow down along the way, ok? If you both drive right in, you're asking for hurt."

"Dad..."

"Just listen. I'm not saying break up with him. Just maybe take a day apart, let your hormones die down, think clearly. Besides, men like a little mystery."

"Dad, you're too much for me." I said. I grabbed him and hugged him. "But it means a lot that you care so much."

"I always will honey," Dad said. "Would you like me to explain myself to your young man?"

"No," I said. "But I made nana's lasagna for dinner. You want some?"

"Sure, if you don't mind. I wouldn't want to intrude."

"It's ok," I said. "You've effectively ruined the mood for like, ever."

We walked in and Andrew was pulling the lasagna out of the oven.

"The timer went off," Andrew said. "And I was trying to help. Mr. Blake, I am so sorry. I swear to you I have nothing but the utmost respect for your daughter."

"I've heard," Dad said. "And I'm sorry about the earlier comment. Apparently, there are other reasons for that...medication than guitar slinging boyfriends."

"Just pretend you never heard him say anything," I said. "Now, I am going to make a salad, so you guys sit down and talk like normal human beings."

Andrew nervously twitched at the table while he and my dad talked about baseball. I tossed my salad, and soon enough dinner was served. They were both quiet during dinner, and so was I. Nana's recipe was magical and I was savoring the cheese. After dinner, Andrew helped me wash up and Dad was hanging around. We finished up and I checked the time, seeing it was almost eight thirty. Time had flown by quickly.

"I should probably take Ann to my place," Andrew said. "She'll need to pick up her car from my driveway."

"I'll go with you and bring my daughter's car back," Dad said. "If you don't mind, I'd like to talk with you some more."

"Ummmm, ok. I don't mind."

"Great," Dad said. "Thanks for dinner honey."

I hugged them both before the left, whispering "good luck" in Andrew's ear. I didn't know for certain that Andrew would survive the car interrogation, but I hoped so. An hour later, Dad showed up with my keys at my doorstep.

"Dad, did you kill my boyfriend?"

"No, actually I like him. I still scared the daylights out of him, but that one is a keeper. And let me tell you, Ann,he has a nice house. A man buys a house like that, he means to settle down..."

"Goodnight Dad," I said.

"Bye baby girl," He said before I closed the door. I fell asleep with my very strange rollercoaster day replaying in my mind.

(((Sorry for the brevity of this chapter! The next one should be longer, and there is some serious drama that's about to go down. Thanks for reading, I lover you!)))