Chapter 25: Runaway Bride

I had just finished a meeting with new couple at the chapel, discussing their options for floral arrangements, when I realized it. It was the weekend of Lacy's wedding, and despite my new friendlier relationships with my ex-coworkers, nothing else had changed. Andrew hadn't called, and every time I thought even send him a text message to get us speaking again, I chickened out. And Lacy, despite refraining from pressing charges against me for slugging her in Seattle, had not called me to reconcile. So when I realized she was about to marry Jerry today, and that I'd failed to save her from her self determined fate, I was sad. I called Suzy, but not so surprisingly, she didn't answer because she had a million things to take care of. I decided to call my only other inside source, dialing Robert and hoping he'd answer despite his own hectic schedule.

"Hey Ann," Robert said. "How's life planning small church weddings?"
"Fulfilling," I answered shortly. "And how's the office without Lucinda?"
"Am I a bad son if I say it's a million times better? People are much more relaxed."
"I think you're a very good son, despite your observations. But hey, I was calling to check in on Lacy..."
"Yeah, she's asked about you too," Robert chuckled. "I think she misses her friend."

"Well, I miss her too. But I don't even think right now she'd let me come to her wedding."

"I can arrange for you to come," Robert said. "I'm going, unfortunately. I'm sure it will be terribly over the top with cameras everywhere. But I want to see how Suzy does, so I can officially hire her as my new associate."

"Wow, good for her," I said.

"I'm actually hiring two new people, because I need the extra help with all the business we've been getting. So if you want your job back, that'd be great. The other interns all look alike to me, and none of them work at all."

"I'm happy where I am, but the brunette twig is your best bet. She can use the copy machine and read a map."

"Well, I might just get a new set of interns. Unlike my mother, I value intelligence over appearance. Sometimes you get both, like these two interns I happen to be best friends with."

"Good luck with that whole intern search," I said. "So, can I tag along with you to the wedding? I think it'd be a good chance to bury the hatchet."

"So you'd be my date," Robert said. "Are you sure that is alright?"

"Friends can go on dates," I said. "But we're both single, so I don't think it's a problem."

"Ok," Robert said. "I'll pick you up at five, and wear something classy."

I hung up and went to my closet, trying to find a dress. A small part of me wondered if it was wise for me to go on a "date" with Robert, but I shrugged it off. It'd been two weeks since I heard a peep from Andrew, and despite my ardent feelings, perhaps it was time to let myself relax. If he really wanted me, wouldn't he have done something about it by now?
***

The Calvin-Jensen wedding had better security than the pentagon, and it'd taken twenty minutes for us to get through the processing line. Several cameras were everywhere for the special they were doing with E!, and I was instantly overwhelmed by the utter glamour before me. Sure, I'd seen all of the details on a manifest, but seeing the white, pink, and glitter in person was a bit much. Not an inch of the space was undecorated, and Robert and found our seats in the back. Music played by a professional pianist went on in the background while a slideshow with photos of the couple was lit up on the screen.

"We're a bit early," Robert said. "Would you mind if I check on Suzy and the bride really quick."
"Sure, and I might run off to the ladies room. The ceremony is supposed to be a full hour long, so it's now or never."
"Ok, we'll meet back here," Robert said, kissing my cheek quickly. He turned and left before I could respond, but a brief bought of frustration hit me. So much for our friend date, I thought. Robert seemed determined to subtly gear it in a different direction.

I tried not to overanalyze things as I waited in line behind three busty women, whose age couldn't be determined with any certainty. They all chattered about the wedding and the couple, and I wondered how many of them actually knew lacy or Jerry. As busty girl number two was leaving the open bathroom, I heard Suzy calling out my name.

"Ann, it's a catastrophe," She said, grabbing my arm.

"Everything looks amazing," I said. "What is wrong?"

"Lacy is having a diva style meltdown and won't come out, and the ceremony will start soon. Robert is talking to her now, but she's barricaded in a dressing room. Ann, will you help me? She'll listen to you, I hope."

"Sure," I said. "What happened?"

"Well, Lacy was fine, and then she had a conversation with the best man..."

"Dean, I remember him," I said.
"I don't know what he said to her, but she just locked herself in the room and started freaking out."
"Ok, don't panic," I said. "I don't know if this helps, but Robert will hire you no matter what. It's not your fault that Jerry and Lacy are...well, you know."

"But there are four hundred people coming," Suzy said. "So go and talk to her."
Robert was standing outside of the door, and he looked utterly relieved when he saw me.
"Thank God, Ann. Lacy won't talk to me, she said I won't understand because I am a man."
"Ok," I turned to the door and knocked. "Hey Lacy, it's Ann. I know we haven't talked lately, but I still care. What's wrong?"

"Go away," Lacy said. "I'm not coming out."
"Then I'm going to come in," I said. I pushed on the door, noting it opened just enough for a tiny person to squeeze through. Luckily, I came in a petite package. I wiggled through the space, falling out on the other side. She used a bookshelf to barricade to door, but it was pushed up all the way. Lacy was crying, staring out a window, her dress still looking magnificent.
"Hey," I said. "What is happening? No more drama, no more theatrics, just talk to me."
"My bridesmaid, Sierra, she is my second cousin. I chose her because she looks great in the dress and I needed a bridesmaid so I'd match the number of groomsmen, but we're not close."
"Oh," I said. "I can get her to leave, if you want. I mean, it is your big day Lacy."
"She slept with Jerry," Lacy said. "This morning, she missed our hair appointment, and Dean told me the truth. She was with Jerry this morning, and last night... God, I am so stupid. How can I marry him when he cheats on our wedding day?"
"I think you know my opinion on Jerry," I said. "But I can't tell you what to do."
"I'm going to get married today, I mean, there are cameras and people. I can't back out now."

"Lacy, that's not a good reason to get married," I said. "Those people aren't going to live your life for you, you have to do that. And those cameras won't be there when you're signing divorce papers, and frankly, if you marry him that's where you'll be headed."
"But he promised that once we got married, it'd be different. I believe he could change, for me."
"Even if that is true, which it seems unlikely, it doesn't really matter right now."
"So what matters?" Lacy said.
"Are you happy? I mean honestly, is this the life you want to live?"

"No," Lacy whispered. "And not just with Jerry, all of it. I have everything, money and fame, but I'm alone. And to top it off, I am not a good person. I have one real friend, and she recently punched me in the face."

"So change it," I said. "Sure, you'll be scrutinized, but screw the world. Lacy, you can live the life you want, but no one is going to do it for you. You could just get up and walk away."

"But all those people..."
"I'll deal with the people," I said.
"I'm doing this," Lacy said. "I'm going to be a runaway bride."
"Ok, so how do we get you out of here?" I asked. "I mean, people will notice if the girl in the wedding dress walks out the front door."
"We could switch," Lacy said. "I'll take your dress, and you can take mine."