Chapter 11: An Unexpected Friend

I woke up the next morning, excited to actually have a weekend free. Of course, my lack of plans was somewhat depressing, but I decided to enjoy the freedom. I got up just before sunrise and went for a long run, enjoying the cool air and light streaming over the horizon. When I came back, I was flushed and sweaty, so I jumped in shower. By eight o'clock, I'd done everything I could have hope to do with some free time: exercise, made waffles (which defeated the purpose of exercising), and even caught up on some light reading. So when my phone started buzzing, I was relieved that something was going to save me from actually having nothing to do. It was Angela, probably calling to butt into my love life.

"Hey lovebird," Angela said. "How was the big date?"

"Amazing," I said. "Well, actually, the date had some hiccups, but Andrew is awesome. He's a good kisser too."

"Shut the front door," Angela said. "I am so excited for you. So, is he your boyfriend?"

"Yes, actually, we had 'the talk' last night."

"Wow, you guys are moving fast," Angela said. "Try to think of relationships as a marathon, not a sprint. I mean, you guys are matched up well, but you don't want to speed past all the good stuff. Enjoy getting to know each other, take time to let things happen naturally."

"Well, I agree. I just, Andrew asked me, and there was no way I could say no. I really like him, Angela. Even more than I liked Robert."

"Well, I get that." Angela said. "The honeymoon is beautiful, by the way. You really should come up here with Andrew sometime. Did you know we're staying in his parent's beach house?"

"I did," I said. Suddenly the thought of spending a week in house by the beach with Andrew entered my head, and my cheeks burned with embarrassment. How could I even think about something like that, considering I'd never...

"Angela, can I ask you something...personal?"

"Sure," she said. "I only have a few minutes, but I can always talk to you, cousin."

"Ok, so here it goes," I said, already feeling awkward. "How did you know when you were ready to...you know, trade in the V-card?"

"Wait, so you've never..."

"Nope," I said. "The only guy I've been serious with was Robert, and that relationship was up in flames before I could be ready. But, I don't know, I've been thinking about it recently. And if Andrew keeps kissing me like he did last night, I think the subject is bound to come up..."

"This is not where I expected the conversation to go," Angela laughed. "Wow, you really have it bad for Andrew, huh? I guess he was your type after all."

"Yeah," I said. "I mean, clearly nothing is happening anytime soon. God, I've only known him for a little while and it's a big decision. But, do I tell him that I want to wait because...I've been waiting...."

"Ann, it's really your decision. Joel and I were our own circumstance. I was sixteen when we got together, so we waited until I was eighteen. By then, I was certain I was ready. At your age, you might not want to wait two years, but you don't need to rush. When you're ready, you'll know."

"Ok. You know, your mom is probably going to talk to me about waiting until marriage."

"If you could do that, I'd be severely impressed," Angie chuckled. "Do you think our parents are...waiting?"

"As far as I am concerned, your mom and my dad are just interesting in holding hands and knitting sweaters."

"That sounds smart," Angie said.