Chapter 17: A time to grin and hum

By Thursday, I'd decided to plan Lacy's bachelorette parties for her. In the very least, I would get the chance to go on a few trips and hopefully make a breakthrough to her concerning her upcoming nuptials. Mostly, Andrew had talked me into helping her after I filled him in on all of Lacy's pre wedding drama.

"If she's going to do it anyway, she'll need a friend," Andrew said to me last night. Just thinking about him made me giggle. I was working away when Suzy threw a pencil at me.

"Why did you do that?" I asked. She rolled her eyes.

"Because you're too happy," Suzy said. "I lost my wedding, Robert is hiding out after a breakup, and the skinny interns are so stressed, they're actually eating junk food. Look around, does this look like a time to hum and grin?"

"I'm sorry, I can't help it," I said. "I was with Andrew last night." 

"Oh, so you finally got some action?" She wriggled her eyebrows.

"Not that kind," I said. 'We just hung out, you know. We ordered Chinese food, played guitar, stayed up late talking."

"You play guitar with your rock star boyfriend," Suzy said. "I hate you, officially."

"I think...I think he's the one Suzy."

"Ann, you're still like twelve years old," She said. "And it's been two weeks."

"Two weeks can tell you a lot," I said. "My parents fell in love on their first date. And I am not twelve. I'm way older than twelve."

"I get it, that's your problem," Suzy laughed. "You believe in true love. Well, good luck with that."

"It's not that crazy, I just think it's possible to know when you've met the one. It's not like you date for six months and wake up and say, now I am in love with you. You just know it when it happens."

"And you're in love with Andrew?" I blushed.

"I don't know," I said. "But I am happy. So sorry if it's upsetting you. Besides work is going well. I am planning a kickass bachelorette party that I can't drink at, and I have a potential new client today. Have you heard of Emali Durham?"

"The Victoria secret model married to the Lakers guy," Suzy said. "Of course, I routinely think about how much I hate them when I see their obnoxiously beautiful faces in People magazine."

"You are seriously angry," I said.

"Sorry," Suzy said. "Lucinda blamed me for breaking up son's dream marriage."

"She blamed me too," I said. "Although, I think it's all on Robert. Indecision is his fatal flaw."

"So what are you planning for Mrs. Durham?"

"She wants me to plan her daughter's birthday party?" I said. "They're offering to pay us four grand for the 'perfect party.' I mean, she's turning three."

"But she's a celibri-tot," Suzy yelped. "I can't believe you scored that. I mean, how?"

"Lacy gave her my card, and I guess they were having trouble planning the party. It's set for Monday, so I have two hours to have a perfect pitch for Emali."

"If you nail this, Ann, you'll be set for life. I mean, screw working here, you could start your own company on the buzz you'll get."

"Maybe," I said. "I'm just impressed with how extensive this toddler's party is supposed to be. They want three ponies and if possible, a baby elephant."

"What? That is epic."

"The city won't let us do the baby elephant thing," I said. "But I've got some other ideas. I think someday when I have kids, they are getting cake and cheesy party hats. I mean, do three year olds even need gourmet cupcakes?"