Chapter 14: The Infamous JJ

Tuesday morning began with knocking on Robert's door, prepared to ask for a favor. Sure, I had been striving to keep a healthy distance, but I was actually doing this for Andrew. I replayed my conversation with my bass player boyfriend in my head I waited for Robert to answer.

"You have to go to an appointment with Jerry? The guy who almost tried to attack you?"

"Yes, but he's very sorry. And he should be sober."

"I don't care. I do not want you alone with that guy. Bring someone with, preferably a male coworker. I'm sorry if that's sexist, but I need to know you're safe. And Jerry isn't going to listen to two girls, but if there's a guy there, he'll behave."

"That could be an issue," I said. "The only guy who works with me is Robert, my ex."

"Fine," Andrew said. "I trust you, I even somewhat trust Robert. He seems like a decent guy. But I don't trust Jerry one bit, not alone with my girlfriend and no witnesses."  

"Ok," I said. "I'll ask Robert to come. But I'm doing it for you not to spend time with Robert. You're my guy, Andrew." 

"I know, which is why I want to know you're safe. You're my girl, Ann."

"Good morning," Robert said opening the door. "You wanted to talk to me?"  

I nodded and walked in, closing the door behind me.  

"I heard you took Lucy to the doctors. Wow, Ann, thank you. She really wanted someone to go with her."  

"No problem. Your baby had quite the heartbeat." 

"I know, she showed me the video she took on her phone of the sonogram. I was freaking out. Ann, I'm going to be a dad. It's so surreal, but also, it's kind of amazing."  

"Well, no matter what happens, it's probably good to remember that feeling. Lucy really loves you, you know."  

I was interfering, and I don't know why I felt the urge to defend Lucy of all people. Babies have that effect on me, I suppose.  

"So what's up Ann," Robert said. "I appreciate the well wishes, but I doubt that's why you're here." 

"No," I said. "I need a favor, maybe a payback for helping your fiancé yesterday." 

"What is it?"  

"It involves Jerry Jensen. See, he's been harassing me whenever we're alone, and Andrew is worried. I have a caterer's appointment today with Jerry, and I don't trust him. He tried to, well, he wasn't acting appropriately last time we ran into each other."

"The infamous 'JJ'" Robert laughed. "Most women fall for that guy, since he's sort of good looking, I suppose. I get why Andrew is trying to protect you from him, he's not a nice guy. I'll say I'm evaluating your job performance as your boss."  

"Thanks," I said. "I think its ok for us to be friends at work, probably not outside of work. But I'm really glad you're helping me." 

"And it sounds like you have a good boyfriend," Robert said. "Does he treat you well?" 

"Yes, he really does," I said. "But if he didn't my dad has already threatened to shoot Andrew..." 

"Wow, I am so glad we never got to the 'meet the dad' stage then. But I am happy for you Ann, and I think you'd be a good permanent employee. Anytime you have a creepy groom or client, give me a call. Especially now that you're friends with Lucy." 

"Yeah, friends," I whispered. More like accomplice.

"Ok," I said. "We're meeting the caterers at one, and come hungry. There'll be lots of samples of food to try."