Chapter 26: The return of Mr. Bass

I didn't speak; I was completely lost for words. I watched as Andrew came closer, wondering if he was mirage.

"Hey Andrew," Robert said, reminded me he was still there. Robert had pocketed the bracelet, putting it away from sight. "I was just leaving. Take care of Ann."

"Robert," I said, feeling guilty for practically forgetting he'd just confessed he had feelings for me.  

"It's fine Ann. I mean really, no one gets a better score on the sixth try."

Robert looked at Andrew. "And Andrew, I am officially apologizing for kissing your girlfriend and trying to steal her."

"Thanks," Andrew said, unsure how to react to Robert. Robert walked past Andrew, patting him on the shoulder awkwardly.  

"Later amigo," Robert called out, causing me to smile. We would still be friends, I thought, realizing I was glad.  

"What just happened with Robert? Why did he call you amigo?" 

"It's a really long story," I said. "But the short version is we're friends, just friends." 

"Good," Andrew said. "I'm sorry I didn't call you before I came over, I just got off a plane back into town." 

"And you came here first?" I asked.  

"I had to see you Ann," Andrew said. "I missed you, and I don't know how things got so messed up. But I wanted to see if there's a possibility you'd give me a second chance. I know I was a jerk and I said some pretty harsh things to you." 

"It's fine," I said. "Andrew, I missed you too. Why don't we go inside and talk for a little while. I want to get back together, of course, but we probably need to talk about a few things first."

I unlocked my door and Andrew followed in behind me, sitting on the couch beside me.

"Is this about Emily?" Andrew asked.

"And Robert," I said. "I think I need to know you're not going to stop returning my phone calls the next time Frank snaps a sketchy looking photo. I'd love to say it won't happen at all, but those guys can make anything look shady."

"And I need to know you can be honest with me," Andrew said. "Even if you go on some crazy mission to help out your drunken ex-boyfriend and it sounds crazy. It's better if we don't keep secrets."

"Right," I said. "No more secrets, I promise."

"And about what happened with Emily..."

"It's fine," I said. "I mean, we were broken up. I heard that she left, and I am sorry. I guess the thing about it that bothers me is knowing you slept with her. It's no secret anymore that I haven't done that with anyone, and it just makes me feel like she gave you something I'm not ready to yet..."

"I didn't sleep with her," Andrew said, laughing. "Yes, I let her sleep in my guest room. And since we're being honest, I kissed her and I knew it was a mistake. But I didn't have sex with her less than twenty four hours after we broke up."

"Why didn't you say that?"

"Because I was mad at you," Andrew said. "And I was embarrassed. I was convinced you were going to end up with Robert, and I thought if you thought I was with Emily, you wouldn't have to feel sorry for me."

"Oh," I said. "So you let me believe that to hurt me?"

"I'm sorry Ann," He said, his eyes full of regret. "I tried to get you to come back at Angela's house, but you left so quickly. And then I was afraid you hated me, so I left the guitar, hoping you'd call me."

As much as I hated the fact that he'd deceived me, a weight had been lifted. The one reason I'd been afraid of calling Andrew was that I didn't know if I could forgive him for being with Emily. He had been petty, and he had kissed her. But he'd done so from a place of pain, and his told me he'd owned his mistakes.

"I wanted to call you," I said. "But I thought you were with Emily, so I didn't."

"Well, at least you kept the guitar," Andrew said, pointing at the piece in the corner of my living room.

"I've been trying to learn some new songs," I said. "It's a nice way to keep my mind off of things."

Andrew put his hand on mine, and I could've cried from the innocent touch. I had honestly thought we were done, and now he was here holding my hand.

"So is there anything else we need to discuss," Andrew asked.

"I'm friends with Robert," I said. "Suzy, Robert, and I have been spending a lot of time together."

"Ok," Andrew said. "I think Robert and I have an understanding in the hallway. He seems to have actually accepted your rejection now."

"Well, I hope so," I said. "I'm kind of into this bass player who gets really jealous sometimes..."

"I get jealous, huh? I thought you were going set me on fire that day at my house when you met Emily."

"I considered it," I said. "But you're much cuter when you're not in flames."

"So, Ann, will you please be my girlfriend again?"

"Yes," I whispered, smiling. "I've been waiting for you to say that."

"And I promise to be honest, and to give you the benefit of the doubt."

"Ok," I said. "I hope you don't mind if we take things slow."

"Of course," Andrew said. "But, does that mean I can't kiss you?"

I smiled and shook my head, leaning over and brushing his lips.

"I've missed this most of all," I said. Andrew grabbed ahold of me and pulled me into his lap, kissing me some more and making me forget everything else around me.

"You took away your dad's keys, right?"

I giggled and kissed Andrew's forehead briefly.

"It's just you and me here," I said. "No interrupting dads, sisters, or exes."

"It's about time," Andrew said, grabbing me and kissing me. Minutes passed and I was lost in his arms and lips, savoring every moment with the man I'd miss more than I could explain. Eventually, it got to be pretty late, and we knew it was time to say goodnight.

"I could always sleep over," Andrew said. "I can behave, remember?"

"That sounds nice," I said. "But I think we might hold off on that. Someday I'll be ready for all of that stuff, sleepovers, sleepovers where we don't sleep, weekends away, and everything that comes after. But for now, I think I'm just going to enjoy getting to know you better. I'm so happy you came over."

"Me too," Andrew whispered before he hugged me goodnight. "I'm sorry it took so long."

"Better late than never," I said. As I watched him walk away this time, I knew in my heart he'd be coming back again.