Chapter 15: Dating Dangers (Part One)

"Ok, here is the milk to go with those cookies!"

"Gia, I am fine," I said. "Really, I don't need more cookies."

"Thank you Gia," Andrew said.

"I still can't believe it," Gia said. "I think I hate romantic comedies now."

"Don't hate them," I said. "Just see someone else's movies. Jerry is a jerk, plain and simple."

"Yeah, he's going to be a dead jerk. Where the hell was your friend when Jerry was manhandling you?"

"I was in the ladies room," I said. "It was might fault. I should have locked the door."

Gia set the milk down and turned, wanting to give us our privacy. I was still snuggled up in Andrew's arms, my head resting on his chest. I could listen to his heartbeat all day.

"Ann, it isn't your fault. I just can't imagine what would have happened in Jerry had gotten his way..."

"He wouldn't have raped me," I whispered. "I think he was just going to mess with me, grab me. It's wrong, but I honestly don't believe he'd go too far."

"Oh Ann, I hope no one ever steals the faith you have in others."

"Thank you for being here for me," I said. "I know we haven't been together long, and it was a bit dramatic to show up on your doorstep like I did."

"Ann, I can't even say how much it meant to me that you came here. I want to protect you, be the guy you come to. I wish I'd been there today..."

"Well, I just followed my gut. Andrew, I feel so much better."

"I'm glad. I'll tell you what, why don't we have a date night. We can do anything you want, whatever will make you smile again."

"I have an idea," I said. "But it's a little bit, out there."

"I'm listening. What's on your mind?"

"You know what, it might be better to surprise you. Tell Gia we're heading out, and I'll give you the address."

"Sure thing, beautiful," Andrew said as kissed my cheek.

My surprise date idea was about forty minutes away from Andrew's house, and I enjoyed the drive immensely. I could see myself going on long trips with Andrew, talking and listening to music. He was easy to be with, and he certainly helped me forgot all my troubles. I still hadn't figured out how I'd tell Lacy everything, but I wasn't worrying about it just then. I wanted to be in the moment in Andrew, taking my time to enjoy his company. Even though I felt like I knew the core of who he was, I still learned new things about him every time we talked. For instance, I learned that Andrew actually played lacrosse in high school, and that he still kept in touch with his old lacrosse buddies. I told him to turn, and Andrew's face was indescribable when we arrived.

"You absolutely serious right now?" Andrew asked. We had pulled into the parking lot, and he gave me a sideways glance. I wasn't counting dates at this point, we felt past that. But I'd never taken a guy to the shooting range before, so I was nervous.

"If this freaks you out, if you're not ready, we can do something else."

"I mean, I am surprised. But we're not shooting little furry creatures, just targets, right?"

"We go in and you shoot the targets, no animals harmed. I totaled a mailbox trying to save a squirrel, so I am not going to shoot at living things for sport."

"That's true," Andrew said. "So why the interest in firearms, then? I mean, I'm kind of into it, but I feel like there's some backstory I'm missing."