Chapter 10: Fix You

I was getting ready for my date when my cousin, Angela called. I was surprised, since she was on her honeymoon, but I was excited to hear from her.

"Hey Coz," I said. "How's married life?"

"Awesome," Angela said. "I'm so happy. Joel and I might just move into this beach house with the kids. How are you doing? I wanted to check in and say hi, and thank you for all the work you did on the wedding."

"I'm great," I said. "But I am freaking out right now. What do you wear on a first date?"

"Whoa, who are you dating?"

"Andrew," I said quickly. Angela, who'd been not so subtly hinting that I needed to get over Robert since the moment I met her, screamed like a fourteen year old fan girl. "Hell yes, I am so excited. Girl, you two are so perfect for each other!"

"Calm down," I said. "I'm already nervous enough as it is. If you start planning my wedding right now I'm going lose it."

"But you like him, right? I mean, you're not just using him to get over you-know-who? We might be family, but I'm very protective of Bass, ok? He's like the little brother I never had."

"Aren't you guys the same age?"

"Technically yes, but answer the question Ann. Do-you-like- Andrew?"

"Yes," I said. "I really do, which is why even though I've seen him a few times this week I am so freaking anxious. Should I wear a dress or jeans? I don't know where we're going, and I don't want to try too hard. But I want him to, I don't know, get all flustered when he sees me just like people do in in the movies."

"Ok, well, Andrew is a simple kind of guy. He really likes it when girls are just, themselves. So wear some jeans and a cute top, but maybe pair it with a leather jacket and some heels."

"Ooh, I bought these red heels a few weeks ago. They're perfect. Ok, I think I got it all figured out."

"Well good, because the faster you and Andrew have babies, the sooner Blake and Bryan will have some playmates."

"Seriously? Your sister in law Stephanie is practically engaged, so I think she is next on the baby train. I am going on a first date Angela; he might not even want to go on a second."

"Yeah right, Ann. I saw him at the wedding, and Andrew hasn't been that smitten since..." Joel was shushing Angela, and I immediately knew what she'd almost told me.

"You're fine," I said. "I know all about Emily. Gia, his younger sister, told me."

"You already know about Emily? That's sort of big, Ann. Are you sure this is your first date?"

"Well, first 'official date.' We've hung out a few times..."

"Uh huh," Angela said. "Well text me tomorrow with the details. I want all the dirt."

"You're honeymooning, Angela. My boring life can wait until you get home."

"Well, sorry, but I am too curious for that. If you don't tell me, Andrew will."

"Fine, but no meddling Angela. I mean it, ok. I need to handle my own love life."

"You said love." Angie said, giggling. "Ann loves Andrew." She sort of sang the last part, and I was glad she couldn't see me rolling my eyes. Angela was practically a sister to me, or it had felt that way since we reconnected.

"Goodbye Angie," I said before hanging up.

She was silly, but I loved Angela. I put my phone down and went to work on straightening out my blonde curls, wanting to do something a little sleeker than usual. I had just pulled on my jeans and favorite jacket when my phone buzzed. Suzy had texted me.