Unprepared

I didn't realize how long it'd been since I updated. I've had a ridiculous amount of writer's block. but its gone now, I hope!

Hopefully this is what you've been waiting for. Remember to keep voting! It means more than you think.

Taking one last sigh, I opened the car door and made my way inside the house. My dad's car wasn't outside, yet, but a car parked on the street was, meaning a couple of people were here already that I wasn't ready to see yet.

It was my birthday, and as much as I was the one who wasn't excited excited for these kinds of things, I shouldn't be the one to ruin my own day. I had the whole brave façade thing down, it was just a matter of keeping myself together to keep it up.

When I made it up to the porch, the door opened a little too quickly for my liking, startling me a bit. The girl standing at the door had big blue eyes that I'd become accustomed to within the last ten plus years of my life.

Here went nothing.

Without speaking, she grabbed me, hugging me until I was almost at a loss for air. "Happy birthday, beautiful!" She squealed in my ear.

Putting on the realest of fake smiles, I wrapped my arms back around her, thanking her until she let me go.

"Mason said your dad is going to have to stay a little longer at work than he'd originally planned, so he said to get started without him."

I nodded, mentally knowing that this whole little whatever it was is going to be harder if he's not here. My dad would’ve been the reason I kept my sanity tonight, but I knew I was going to have to find other ways to get through this. Sadly, now, it was going to be much easier to reveal whatever this supernatural world was.

“Where’s Mason at?” I asked.

“On his way home from practice, he said. Jamie should be dropping him off soon.”

I nodded again, “Alright. Well, what should we do now?”

I left Cassie walking behind me, walking over to Amy & Henley who greeted me quickly, wishing me a very happy birthday. These girls were supernatural? How was somebody supposed to believe that? If anything, they were more normal than Cassie who swore up and down that she saw things that others didn’t.

“Well… I know you don’t like to drink, so-”

“Cass, I’m 21 now. Things change, ya know. What should my first legal drink be?” I cut her off, and the look on her face said enough for the words she couldn’t speak. The other two girls looked at each other as well in confusion, wondering what the hell was going through my mind.

“Nani, you’ve never drank. Don’t feel pressured just because you’re 21…” Cassie dragged.

“I want to drink. Period,” I nearly snapped. In return, she mumbled an okay and led me to the kitchen, to begin fixing me a drink.

“Since it’s your first drink, just drink this Bacardi and coke… if you like it, I’ll make you another drink, alright?” My best friend negotiated.  Shrugging, I handed her a small glass filled with ice.

“Are you okay, Nani?” Henley asked cautiously, swaying from side to side on the bar stool. Unfortunately at the moment, I was irritated with everybody, so her usually soothing voice annoyed me instantly.

“Just peachy.”

Cassie handed me my very first drink, and all three girls watched me carefully as if I were taking some kind of medicine that would cure me instantly. When I took a sip, the alcohol stung the back of my throat, considering I wasn’t used to the feeling, but I knew I couldn’t show them or else they would worry and tell me to stop drinking.