Chapter Three

"All right now badgers, this is how we enter our dorms and common room" said Andromeda Black, otherwise known as the Hufflepuff prefect. She then proceeded to demonstrate the taps. First she clicked the third barrel on the left twice, then the one on top of it once and gently tapped the barrel on the right side twice before a passage opened up. 

She crawled into it before motioning us over. We gently got down on all fours and followed behind like the obedient puppies we are. The tunnel was quite small and as we got up and out the other end, our mouths were open like codfish. 

The common room was quite cozy and made me nostalgic by it's homely smell that reminded me off old parchment and home-cooked meals

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The common room was quite cozy and made me nostalgic by it's homely smell that reminded me off old parchment and home-cooked meals. The first years quickly closed their mouths and stopped gaping as they were introduced to their respected dorms. Unable to contain the excitement of the first day, Beth and Mary rushed up to the stairs leading up to the girl's dorm when Mary banged into another first year in her hurry. 

Grimacing and rubbing her forehead she slowly got up and helped the raven haired boy up as well. They made eye contact and instantly the boy looked away turning a few shades brighter before awkwardly shuffling his feet hoping Mary didn't notice. Mary being the cheerful and hyper girl she is, jumped up and introduced herself before stretching her hand out wanting to make as many friends possible and take away an entire suitcase filled with memories. 

"I'm Mary, Mary Poppins by the way ... and you are?"

"Albert Dawes.. but call me Bert" the boy grinned cheekily erasing any sign of shyness he showed earlier. Mary smiled and shook his hand before following Beth upstairs. 

Calm and Mary didn't always go well together, as the over-excited eleven year old jumped up and down on her cozy bed near the door. Beth was the one on the bed beside hers next to the window, mirroring her actions as they goofed around. The other three dorm mates were fast asleep, or were trying to sleep under the circumstances as neither Beth nor Mary seemed to be in the mood to calm down. 

"I can't wait for classes to start!!!" Beth exclaimed.

"Jeepers!! I'm so excited!!!!!" Mary squealed and in her excitement fell off the edge of the bed on her bums. Beth unable to contain her laughter burst out into a fit of hysterics and plummeted to the ground as the two sat there drowning in their tears of mirth. One of their dorm mates, Bertha Jorkins, decided enough was enough and got up from her bed and pulled out her wand. 

"Listen up people. If you don't sleep now, you won't have enough energy to actually enjoy the day tomorrow and also when I'm sleepy I'm pretty pissed so like tune it down and just go to slee-" she started when Mary cut her off by muttering under her breath so that only Beth could hear her. 

"okay okay Jerk ins..."  Beth snickered at her comment before the two got up and tucked themselves inside the many layers of their blankets. 

"I swear to go her name is so fitting.. Jerk ins... It's like the Jerk is in the room" Mary said slightly mad, slightly annoyed. Beth tried her hardest to not laugh but couldn't resist the smile peering up her lips. Soon the girls fell into a deep slumber and welcomed dreams with open arms. 

Mary loved dreaming, because they were like an escape to her, an escape from the real depressing world. She would often spend her days fantasizing an alternate reality and different words that she made up herself. Sometimes she would find herself lost in past memories and tonight was no different as she soon found herself in her room with her mother. . . . 

"Mary" her mum called, "come here a second" she beckoned Mary into the nursery and was soon greeted by the incoming footsteps of a little five year old. 

"Yes mother" Mary eyed the blue eyed woman in awe, her mum was her favorite person in the whole wide world! 

"I want you to clean up your nursery alright honey?" she said. 

"But I don't wanna" Mary pouted and her mum knelt down to her level and met her eyes as she used two fingers to lift up her head by the chin. 

"For every job that must be done, there's an element of fun" her mum said and continued, "you find the fun and.." she snapped, "the job's a game" she exclaimed. 

Almost immediately her mum burst out into a song and snapped her fingers and her blocks lined up and marched into her treasure chest. 

"-A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down.." and Mary soon got excited and snapped her fingers trying to do accidental magic and oh what a surprise! It seemed to work! Everyone knows that wizards and witches who show magical abilities do accidental magic here and there when they feel strong emotions like anger or excitement and that is exactly how Mary just did it. 

However, the fact that she didn't have full control remained as sometimes she snapped her fingers way too many times before huffing and putting her doll away manually causing her mum to giggle. Mary hummed the song to herself and slowly but eventually cleaned the nursery up as her mother watched from a distance, leaning on the door frame. 

"Mummy Mummy did you see that! did you see that??" Mary exclaimed, "I moved the teddy!!!!!" 

"Yes honey good job!!" Jane smiled back and Mary continued humming the song as she left the nursery. . . 

"Maryyyyyy ohhh Maryyyyyy" sang Beth who was trying hard to wake her best friend up by shaking her, now Beth was seriously considering throwing water on her friend who seemed to be in the midst of sleep singing. 

"MARYYYYYY" she screamed yet it simply bounced off the girl without much of an effect on her. Huffing the blonde seemed to give up and removed her wand. She looked at her charms book one last time before filling the bucket with ice cold water. Then she whispered inaudibly, "Guess Mary's nominated for the ice bucket challenge now ehh?" 

Whooshhh! 

The blankets, bedsheets and the girl inside them were drenched and shivering at the touch of the freezing water. That seemed to wake her up as she widened her eyes and jaw eyeing the girl before her before breaking into a glare.

"not a great way to start a friendship Beth... I'll give you up till three" Mary warned. 

"Three!" she said and got up from her bed before chasing the blonde down the stairs and into the common room. Mary caught up to Beth and pulled her by the corner of her collar tackling her down onto the floor. 

"Hey! not fair where did one and two go??" Beth whined. 

"off on vacation, why'd you throw freezing water Beth??!!" Mary exclaimed. 

"Well... you didn't really respond to your name...I swear to god you sleep like a log, except you're a log that sings and drools" Beth announced and the entire common room (or at least the people in there at the moment) burst out laughing, which weren't many (thank goodness). Mary's face turned a few shades brighter now competing Lily's hair color as the same face returned. 

Beth paled. 

"up till three." Mary deadpanned. 

Beth gulped.

The chase began again as Beth crawled under the tunnel with Mary following close behind. 

Good thing they're both athletic and fit, it's wonderful to see some drama now and then. 

After all this is Hogwarts folks.

-