Chapter Twelve

Recap : " a bit slower next time please "

Jane looked at John worriedly before stuttering and finally gaining enough courage to say this as she parked the car in the drive way, "Mary.." she breathed in and out, "I don't know how to say this.. well your father and I have decided that it'd be best if you .. I can't do this John" the woman said shaking her head vigorously getting little Mary even more confused than she was which easily frustrated the little Hufflepuff. 

"Mum! Just cut the chase and get straight to the point please! I'm awfully confused right now" she said frowning as she looked up and suddenly squinted her eyes to look further. She could make out an owl swooping down towards their car and as it grew nearer her eyes widened in joy! She could recognize that owl from anywhere!! Beth had sent her the first letter of the summer!!! 

Mary was excited beyond words and hopped out of the car stretching an arm out for the Owl as she dug the other in her pocket for a spare Bertie bott bean or anything to give as a peace offering. The owl swiftly landed on her arm and gave an affectionate peck before nibbling on the candy Mary gave it. She untied the parchment and walked over to the porch as she stood beneath the porch light to read, cause it was dark. 

Dear Mary, 

It's only been a couple hours and I miss you so much already! I guess i got so accustomed to being near you that it feels weird without you here. Anyways I hope you reached home cause I did and GUESS WHAT??!!! My parents are really happy with my score and are letting me invite you home!! So would you come?? Send in you reply with Flurry asap. 

Beth xoxo

Mary beamed with happiness as she jumped up in joy and looked at her parents before going at a 100 miles and saying it all too fast, "okay okay I'll repeat. Beth invited me home, so can I go pweaseeeeeeeeee" she said hyperventilating in happiness as she made cute puppy eyes. 

"Aww, how can anyone deny that face, look at it Jane" John cooed and pinched her cheek as he said, "Of course, get your sleep I'll drop you tomorrow. you can stay for two days" 

Mary pouted, "ONLY TWO??!!!"

"well yes, your grand parents wanted to spen-"

"Aw man" Mary said slightly disappointed but it didn't last long as she took her trunk and dragged it upstairs before rummaging in it in her room and rushing back down with two pieces of parchment five minutes later. She tied one to Flurry and sent her off with her reply and handed one to her parents. 

"I'll be getting my Owl for sure right?" she asked them as they read over her result. 

James was fast asleep and snoring when he heard an Owl peck its beak and knock on his window, grabbing the glasses off his bedside table he quickly wore them and opened the window. He gave it a small pat before reading the letter from his best friend, or best friends actually as he had written to all three of them and had received two back so far. 

He opened the first one addressed to him, it had scraggly handwriting in blue ink and a messy font, he immediately recognized it as Sirius' and opened it.

'Psst James, attached to this is the fake letter, I tried my best.'

He opened further and sure enough saw an elegant piece of writing that definitely didn't look like Sirius' handwriting, well except for the greeting which was close to the main part. 

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Potter, 

I am happy to let my son, Sirius stay at your home for an entire month. You can come pick him up at midnight so muggles don't suspect apparition, I'll keep his bags ready by tomorrow. 

See you soon, 

Walburga Black. 

Attached was another slip, ' HAH! fooled the old bat! Told her your family was some death eater following git and she wrote it herself. '

James definitely had to applaud his wit but then he snorted, when it depended on such matters, Sirius would automatically become the smartest. He wondered why his smartness didn't show in academics, well except transfiguration, but he got the answer himself. He was no different. He opened the next one in a somewhat neater handwriting, obviously his mate Remus had written it because one glance it was the politest letter he'd received. 

Dear James, 

Well My dad did allow but only for a week, So I guess I'll be seeing you tomorrow then at nine!! :') Hope you're doing well! Send in my greetings to your parents! 

Sea you!!

Remus~

James snickered at the pun and removed his glasses setting everything aside as he slowly laid back down and drifted off to sleep in his own wonderful dream land.

Bert, as his friends called him, had the most normal summer yet - or perhaps as normal as a wizards summer is. His parents had brought him home happily and they enjoyed a small meal his mum cooked as they spoke over the table and exchanged tales. Later his dad was teaching him the art of chimney cleaning as they both climbed up and down the chimney. 

He said it was better for Floo Network so they wouldn't land dirty wherever they traveled, if they traveled. The thing with the Dawes is that they didn't go out of the house much unless Bert had school or his Dad had to go to work or his mum had to buy grocery. Bert had never explored but nonetheless the parents kept him happy and well fed despite their poverty as they struggled to make ends meet. 

Bert, Mary, Beth, James, Sirius, Remus and even Peter snoozed off back to their dreams as they left their troubles and life behind them and dived into a funtastic adventure!!! 

Who knew what adventures await this band of mischievous kids??!

-