Chapter Twenty Two

hey, I know I took a long break for inspiration but I'm back now  so lets dive right in. 

just a small clue as to what's coming in the chapter ehehe. 

- 

The quizzically amusing look Dumbledore gave her never seemed to shift as he watched her take a seat across him. His eyes never seemed to lose their twinkle behind his half moon spectacles almost as if he knew a funny story nobody else did. 

"How may I be of assistance to you Ms. Poppins?" he said softly as he popped another toffee into his mouth, Mary wondered how he never got any cavities but quickly shook the thought out of her head. 

"Sir, as you may know, it's been a while since we've all graduated and it's just yes the order's been keeping me busy along with my job but this isn't about me. I'm worried about Remmy! You know how he gets when he's stressed and it's worse around the full moon, it drains him! He won't accept help and you know how he is, he'll keep saying he's meant to deal with this for all his crimes but what crimes does he even mean??!!?! He's the sweetest and kindest person I've ever known and I just wanna relive his stress a little" 

"Mary take a breath, hon."Mcgonnagal said as she seated herself beside her and comforted Mary. 

After a short pause where the only sound could be heard from Fawkes ruffling his feathers in his sleep as the portraits adjusted themselves and one of them started snoring. Dumbledore looked far away into the distance before replying to her, "and what do you suggest we do about it?" he asked when he knew the answer himself but wanted her to figure it out on his own because that's the best way to learn - by experience. 

Mary pursed her lips and thought for a while, "Isn't the defence against the dark arts position empty at the moment?" 

Dumbledore smiled and winked at her as she sighed and sank back into her seat a bit more feeling the weight of a thousand dumbbells lift off her heart allowing her to be able to feel her every breath as she whispered, "this will probably help with Remmy's stress."

Mary looked up and met Dumbledore's eyes again, "When will you send him the letter?" 

"soon my child" he said, "anything else you would like to tell me while you're here?"

That was the instant Mary knew he could see right through her. She had been debating this theory endlessly and had spent many sleepless nights just pouring over articles, books and evidence from every corner of the world to solve this one and she was so sure she was very close to a solution but there was still a doubt. 

Did Dumbledore know what she was working on? How could he see right through her? She'd kept this research private in hopes that once the solution is worked up she could ensure that Remus would have a stable job for more than a year rather than having to change multiple times. It was all for love. Her personal mini side project beside her order duties.