Chapter 18

I awoke with a stiff neck and back. I ached from the bench I had been sleeping on. That was when I remembered the other flash back.

I remembered how much I needed Joes words. I needed them now.

I continued to think about joe and my old life when a line of light came flooding into the box. It startled me and stung my eyes as I had been in the dark for a few hours now.

"Hello?" The voice called. I didn't recognise it, it certainly wasn't his however it was another male I presumed around his age.

"Hello?" I replied shy, I attempted to be quiet but it echoed over the walls.

"Who are you?" They shouted.

"Kim- I mean Ellie- wait I..... I don't know anymore." I cried.

"Are you ok?" They shouted.

"Not really," I replied. They continued to push open the big metal door and made their way in.

As they got closer I made out a figure. It was tall and quite muscly. Their hair was in a side quiff and appeared to be brown but it was to early to tell.

"Do you want to come out?" He asked.

"I can't! I'll get another strike."

"It's fine, honest, Craig is too drunk to notice."

So Craig was his name.

"I'm fine,"

"Come on!!" He shouted continuing on to grab my arm gently and pull me out.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"I don't know, somewhere away from here?"

"Please I beg!"

When I stepped out I saw dozens of girls - at least 30 all in different colour dresses. They all had a streak in there hair like I had once. I definitely looked the worst. They all looked like pristine dolls- I was in a little black dress.

"Dear are you ok?" A tall girl in a lilac dress ran up to me. She had blonde hair and lilac eyes. She embraced me in a hug. My heart lept. I couldn't remember the last time I had a caring hug. I didn't even know this girl but somehow her hug gave me hope.

"I'm ok," I whispered.

"What happened to you?" She cried.

"I got beaten, a lot," I murmured. She spun me around to take a look at my back.

"But lovely, you only have two strikes?"

"I know, he wanted me to learn quickly."

She turned to the boy who had bought me out of the room. I can't even call it a room.

"Who was she with?" She asked him.

"Craig," he sighed.

"Oh dear," she turned back to me and out her arm around me. "Let's get you cleaned up, come with me," she began to lead me towards the big door reading accommodation I had saw earlier.

"No I can't go in there! I'll get in trouble!" I shouted. I began shaking, I was scared I was going to begin to have a panic attack.

"Of course you won't! I'll put in a good word with Craig," she winked.

"I don't understand how you have so much freedom," I questioned.

"Freedom? Dear, you don't get out enough."

"Get out?"

"Craig might be strict but I'm sure even he couldn't say no to a visit with friends."

I was confused, I thought we couldn't leave our rooms. I thought we were restricted to our rooms and then where we were instructed to go.

She lead me to a toilet block. When we walked in I looked in the mirrors in front of me revealing a disheveled mess. My hair was all over the place along with my makeup. My skin was pale and the bruises were illuminated.

"Wow," I gasped in shock.

She pulled out a massive makeup bag from her handbag. "Come one, lets sort you out, perch here." She pulled out a stool from underneath the mirror counter. Carefully I sat down.

"So, what's life like with Craig?" She questioned as she began to do my hair.

"Awful, I just get beaten and hurt, he doesn't care for me." I sighed.

"I don't think he knows how to, I'll give him a lesson or two. Clearly he is being to harsh on you and needs to lighten up a little. What's your name?"

"I don't know, my real name is Kim but Craig renamed me Ellie."

"What? He has some nerve!"

"How do you have confidence in this place? Aren't you afraid something will happen to you?"

"Let me tell you something" she began, "when you have been here for so long you get to know the ins and outs of the place. I was lucky to get someone easy going, they are quite loose with the rules. However I still get punished." She turned to the mirror and showed me her three strikes. "You can go out whenever you want, there is even a recreation room for us, however if you are called, you must do as instructed."

"Where is that room?" I asked.

"It is next to the makeover room. The opposite direction to the dining hall."

"What's your name?" I had so many questions and I was just getting started.

"I'm Sarah."

"How long have you been here?"

"Let's just say I lived here longer than I lived at home," she sighed.

"Does it get easier?"

"I promise."

"Finally, can we escape."

"I don't know, but this is why they don't like you coming to the recreation room. When all of us are together we could plot anything."

"I should come,"

"Definitely. Extra ideas are always a help. We will get out one day."

"Don't they catch you planning?"

"Trust me lovely, we have been here years and years, we had much time on our hands. We even got taught sign language by one of the other girls Kira. That's how we communicate. They aren't smart enough to figure out what we are saying!"

I couldn't help but smile. Other people felt the same as me. Sarah was like a glimmer of hope to me that there was an escape from this place.

"Right hair and makeup is done!"

I looked in the mirror. My hair was fixed perfectly and my makeup made my look so awake yet she had done it so different.

"Ok Kim listen, this is where there is a new you. A more confident you. One who can hold her own and be brave. We can get through this. You can get through this. You are much stronger than you know. From this moment you are a new person," she smiled.