{ Chapter 16 }

Chris

*

I walked through the front door at 6am, setting my coat down and kicking off my shoes. I'd been working since 10pm and was unbelievabely tired. All I wanted to do was go to bed but I was denied this when I found my 16 year old son passed out on the floor.

"Hunter?"

He was sprawled across the carpet, an empty bottle of vodka and  an empt bottle of wine at the side of him. I mentally groaned. I'd told Lisa time after time to keep her alcohol away from his sight but she didn't listen. Well, that was only with the wine. I had no idea where he'd got the vodka from.

"Kid, wake up." I knealed down at the side of him, scooping my hand under his neck to bring his face up. I wrapped my arms around his waist and pulled him up against my chest. His eyes clenched shut tighter and he groaned into my shirt. A few minutes later, he opened his bloodshot eyes.

"Chris?"

"You're grounded," I said quietely. "Why are you in here? Do you want me to take you back to your room?"

He shook his head, gripping fistfuls of my shirt. "Can you..stay with me?"

I sighed, nodding my head slowly. I knew he was troubled now. He never wanted me to sleep with him unless something was really bothering him. It had been a few months since the last time, I thought Kat was comforting him now. Obviously he wasn't improving as much as I thought.

i pulled us both up onto the couch behind us, laying down and letting Hunter sink down at my side. His back pushed into my chest and I smoothed my hands through his hair, doing whatever I could to relax him.

Eventually, he drifted back off.

*

Kat

I walked through into the front room and pulled a face at the sight. Hunter was snuggled into Chris with a tearstained face and Chris was rubbing his back, his eyes red.

"What's this about?" i whispered, trying not to wake Hunter. I noticed the empty vodka bottle on the floor, a bottle of wine lay next to it and sighed. 

"He got drunk, got upset. I walked in and he was passed out on the floor. He wanted to stay with me for the night,"

I nodded in understanding. "Did you get any sleep?"

He sighed. "Hunter kept stirring. It was easier to just stay awake,"

"Oh,"

"Do you know what was wrong with him last night? I know you went to a party but-"

"He was just upset," I explained. "As soon as he got upset, we came home. And um.."

"Yes?"

"I don't know. I must've passed out," I lied.

There was no way that I was going to tell Chris that his son had just kissed his wife's daughter. No. He was stressed enough. Plus, it would probably end up with him telling Lisa and she would be unbelievabely pissed off. She hated Hunter. She'd probably drag me across the state just to keep us apart.

I wasn't the reason Hunter was upset, right? I mean, he kissed me. I barely got to respond before he was out the room. That couldn't be my fault, could it?

"Kat, do you mind staying with him? I really need to sleep,"

"Yeah sure Chris,"

Once he was out of the room, I looked at Hunter. He was shifting uncomfortabley and groaning softly. He normally did this before he woke up and I decided that I needed time to think of what I was going to say. So I rushed out of the room. I wandered around the kitchen, multi tasking as I made Hunter some coffee and myself some toast. I knew he wouldn't eat straight away so I didn't bother with food for him.