Chapter 15

"So you wanna come?"

I bit my lip, running the question over and over in my head. Could I go to Cassie's party? No. I couldn't. There was no way that I could leave Hunter on his own. He would do something. Drink, cut, punch holes in every wall. I couldn't imagine what might happen. What if he had a nightmare and I wasn't there to comfort him? If he got so scared he hurt himself? If he went as far to try and kill himself again? I cringed at the thought of returning to his body. I couldn't do that.

I shook my head. "Sorry,"

"What? Why?"

"I told you Hunter had issues," I reminded her. She nodded understandingly and I sighed. "Chris is working night shifts. I can't leave him alone. Sorry,"

"Well bring him?" She suggested. "Come on, it's not like he doesn't drink. It'd be a good chance for him to make friends. He can stay with you. It'll be a laugh, come on."

She grabbed my arm, pulling me up from the couch and dragged me into my room. I protested, knowing that if Hunter was in a bad mood then she would be terrified but she didn't listen and barged in.

Thankfully, Hunter was sat on his bed listening to My Chemical Romance. They always put him in a good mood so he would be ok. 

"Cassie-"

"Hey Hunter," she smiled, dropping down onto his bed. For a split second her eyes scanned his scars on his legs and arms but she snapped out of it. "You drink, right?" He nodded. "It's my 17th birthday and I'm having a party tonight. Do you wanna come?"

"No," he muttered.

"Why not? There'll be drink, there'll be girls. Who knows, you might even get lucky," she playfully nudged his arm and I cringed. I didn't want to think of Hunter with another girl. It wasn't that I was jealous, it was that I cared. He was too vulnerable. If he went to this party and got so drunk that he had sex with a girl, the next morning he would feel like shit. He'd feel like a whore. And I couldn't handle him feeling like that.

"Kat's going," Cassie added.

Hunter looked at me for a brief moment and then looked down to his hands. "Yeah ok,"

"Really? Aw that's great!" She grinned, giving him an awkward hug which he didn't respond to. She pulled back nervously. "Well I've gotta go but I'll see you both at mine, 8 o'clock, ok? See you!"

Cassie skipped out of the room and I fell down on Hunter's bed. My head ended up on his lap and I looked up at him with raised eye-brows.

"Hunter? Party? Really?"

"You're going,"

"I wasn't going to," I admitted. "Chris is on a night shift. Cassie only asked you because she knew that I'd never leave you here alone,"

"Why not?"

"You know why," I murmured. "But if you wanna go to this party, then you can. You can even fuck off and meet new people as long as you let me know you're ok every once in a while. Ok?"

"Ok," he smiled a little bit. 

*

I wasn't sure if Hunter had made an effort with his appearance but he looked nice. After hours of lounging around in his briefs, he showered and came out looking like a different person. His hair was shaggier than usual and fell in a perfect mess above his eyes. He looked nice.

Cassie's house wasn't too far away and it only took us about 10 minutes to get there. Hunter had taken a few shots of vodka before leaving the flat and i hadn't questioned it. I wanted him to feel comfortable around people tonight.