Dreams Run Wild

There are two kinds of dreams:  The ones that play through our minds late at night.  And the ones that we live for and hope to achieve.

I have dreamed of so many things throughout my life.  When I was five I  dreamed of having a pet unicorn and having the biggest box of crayons.  When I was seven I dreamed of having my very ownhorse and being a rock star.  When I was nine I dreamed of going to college and getting taller.  When I turned eleven I dreamed of being pretty and having lots of friends.  But now at age 14, I have different dreams and goals.  Sure, I still have some of the same dreams but I have many new ones as well.  

Now I dream of healing so I can get back in the saddle.  I dream of becoming a vet and specializing in equine sports medicine.  I dream  of buying a car, a 1948-54 Chevy pick up truck to be exact.  I dream of going to UW River Falls and graduating with honors.  I dream of earning scholarships so I can afford to go to college.  I dream of having my drawing put in art galleries for the world to see.  I dream of curing diabetes for my little sister.  I dream of find a cure or at least a treatment todegenerative myelopathy, a disease that took the worlds best dog away from my family far too soon.

So, my dreams are pretty standard, nothing to amazing.  Except  maybe one of them.  My biggest dream is to open a rescue center for animals that are on euthanasia lists all over the country.  I would also take in horses that had been injured on the track.  I would give every animal a world of chances because if it wasn't for all the chances that they gave me, I don't know who I would be.  So I only see it to be fair that they get a chance at a life with out an expiration date.  Sure it might be hard to find the funds to make everything work.  But I would hate myself if I never even tried.

So, yes, my dream may be far fetched.  But I will do everything I can to make it come true.  I want to show animals the love that they have showed me.  And if I can save even just one race horse from being put down on the track, I will know that I made a difference.  But my dream of working with animals has been with me for a long time.  So I have had a lot of time to plan things out.

Some of my dreams will never come true.  But that doesn't keep me from dreaming.

Then there are the dream I only have after my eyes are closed.  The dreams that can turn into nightmares without warning.  Just recently I have had a nightmare that used to plague me as a little kid.  As stupid as it will sound, it terrifies me.  It is about an evil hamster that tries to kill everyone.  But who wouldn't be afraid of a hamster that knew how to use a rifle?  I mean come on!  Why can't it be something that makes sense?  I mean a hamster, really?  If it didn't scare me so much I might just find it funny.  

The other nightmare I have had several times makes a little more sense.  Or maybe not......  It is a bit strange.  I had a nightmare that my dog Sunny chewed her leg off.  When I woke up she had a rawhide and had one of her legs folded under her.  I though she was eating her leg!  So yeah..... that was kind of traumatizing.......

But dreams, whether they be goals or a movie that plays behind closed lids, are wonderful things.  They drive us to become our own person and try new things.  Sure they can be scary at times.  But in the end they tend to be what are lives are formed around.