A Diamond In The Ruff

My life isn't all bad.  My experience have led me to the few people I would trust with my life.  Some people that I trust will never know it.  I hate the way they are so oblivious.  But I cherish the moments they realize how much I need them.  So I hope that they can see just how much I depend on them.

But there is one person in particular, that has become my reason to wake up in the morning.  He may not know it, but he inspires me to never give up.  He is the person I love with my whole heart.  I get butterflies in my tummy whenever he is around.  He has managed to sneak behind some of the walls that I have built up around me.  But he hasn't gotten past them all.  

I hate myself for being afraid to let people into my life.  I hate that they will probably never know the real me.  I wish I was able to just be who I am and not be afraid of what people will say.  I wish I could be the girl that they think I am.  I dream of becoming the girl that everyone strives to be.  I just want them to accept me for me.

I am a diamond in the ruff.  My edges are undefined but that's just fine.  I have yet to be shaped into yet another karat-ed clone.  I am all natural when I'm at home.  I can bust a move or sing into a spoon without my family judging me.  I can never be like that when I'm not with one of those people that I trust though.  I guess it is part of having been tormented as a little kid.  

I may not be beautiful, sexy,or hot.  But in their eyes I am worth a lot.  I may be a diamond in the ruff.  But in their eyes I am perfectly imperfect.  I love that they except me.  But I still fear those who don't truly know me.

Life isn't about being the hottest girl in the school.  Or the best player on the football team.  It is about being who you truly are.