The Hero's With Hooves

Horses.  My life practically revolves around them.  I have loved horses from a very young age.  But just recently I have realized that they are my life line.  I mean how often is it that you can sit a pour your heart out without being judged?  Horses are an unbiased party.  If you saw me around people one day and around horses the next, you would realize how different I am.

When I step into the barn, I go from a loud crazy girl, to some one quite and alert.  I feel so calm and safe.  It is like I have found my very own heaven on earth.  Not many people can relate to the feeling I get when I see Jenny's horse Bones.  He latched on to me just as I latched on to him.  I remember laughing as he would lead me around the pasture by my coat.  I remember holding on to the lead rope as he reared up, afraid that if I let go he would run off and get hurt.  Bones is my favorite of Jenny's horses, with Gracie coming in at a close second.  

Then there was Clinger.  He was the first horse I eevr rode.  As soon as I was in the saddle there was no turning back.  He was an old boy though and the last time I saw him, I was seven and he was 31.  I miss him but know that he has moved on to a better place.

My Red Man......The driving force in my fight to find an answer.  I got my Red Man a little over a year ago.  He is skittish but I don't care.  But I haven't been able to ride for almost two years.  So I have plenty of time to work with him.  His halter hangs on my bedroom wall, a reminder of what will be.

So these horses have changed my life.  I can't be any happier then when I pull myself into the saddle.  Because for me the saddle is where I belong.

Not all hero's are human.  My hero's once thundered across great plains, long before man ever tamed them.  They were tamed to be ridden and worked.  But you can never train the natural wild side from them.  My hero's are hoofed but that doesn't make them any less heroic.