Chapter 42

Katie's POV

The game is over, and our team won. When all the football players came out after changing, I noticed Chris was missing. 

"Katie, block your mind from him," I muttered under my breath. I walked behind a crowd of people till I reached the parking lot. I was going home with Sammie, so I skipped to her car. Then I stopped. In the front seat she and Matt were making out.

"Jesus," I breathed. I turned around and began my walk home.

..............................

I've been walking for twenty minutes, but it seems like forever. I hummed under my breath a song by Adele until I heard a car stop behind me. A voice called my name.

"Katie," Chris yelled. I turned as he put his BMW in park mode, and then he stepped out, running up to me.

"I--" he stops me mid-talk and gathers me into a hug, squeezing me tight. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so so so so so sorry for what Amy did," he whispered fiercely. I broke away from the hug and looked at him. Chris looked . . . tired. Very tired. His face was pale, and there were dark circles under his dim, blue eyes. Something is wrong.

"Chris, what happened?" I took him by the arms and shook him, forcing him to look into my eyes.

"I . . . I broke up with Amy," he whispered, his voice hoarse. I frowned.

"You did? Why would you do that?" I asked. Chris gave me a small smile and took my face in his hands.

"I did it because I like you." Then, he planted a small kiss on my lips. He lingered for a minute, but I didn't kiss back.

"You . . . you can't just do this, you know. I mean, all of a sudden you stop talking to me and pretend I don't exist. Then you just come out and break up with your girlfriend and tell me you like me," I said, almost close to tears.

"Please, Katie. Please . . ." Chris called after me as I ran away. I never turned back.