Chapter 40

Chris's POV

The Homecoming Game starts in five minutes. Me and my boys already had our pre-game meeting, and they were already out on the field. It was my job to get the football.

When I entered the locker room, I went to the football bin and peeked inside. There were almost ten footballs that looked the same, but I chose the one that had my signature on it. The one I had lost the day before spring break started. 

Wait. How did I find the football? I thought. Oh, right. Some girl found it on the road. Never mind. Its game time.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Katie's POV

I'm sitting on the bleachers, waiting for the game to start. I really didn't want to come, but Sammie forced me to. I don't even know why.

"Look, look, look! There they are!" Sammie exclaimed, jumping out of her seat and cheering. I smirked, but I stayed in my seat, arms crossed, not caring when Chris ran on the field.

"Katie, look at the football," Matt whispered, patting my arm. 

"Why would I care about the--" I stopped when I looked down from the bleachers to see the football with Chris's signature. The football I found and gave to him.

"He probably doesn't remember," I whispered back. Matt sighed and shook his head. Then the game began.

------------------------------------------------------------

Chris's POV

We won. 3-2 touchdowns. Its not much, but who cares? The team crashed into the locker room, and we cheered. 

"Dude, we freakin' won!" Derek shouted. I laughed, and told them I would be right back. So I put the football away and wiped the sweat from my forehead.

"He seems . . . quiet," someone said from the other room. I paused what I was doing and started to eavesdrop.

"Ya, dude, it must be the Amy thing. Did they break up yet?"

"I don't know. They've been hanging with each other a lot lately . . ."

"So he doesn't even know about the cafeteria?" 

"No, I don't--" 

"Stop," I entered the room. Then I ran up to Derek and put him in a headlock. He grunted, trying to get out.

"What happened in the cafeteria, Derek?" I growled.

"Let . . . me . . . go . . . first," he whined, so I threw him to the floor and watched as he stood up, rubbing his neck.

"Ben, you tell him," Derek coughed.

"Amy kissed Matt. On purpose," Ben said quietly. I laughed bitterly.

"You expect me to believe that. Amy didn't have any reason to do that, so she didn't."

"Dude, she kissed him two times. Remember when Katie told you that Matt cheated on her with some other girl? Well, Amy was jealous that you liked Katie, so she wanted Katie to stay away from you. The only way was for Amy to kiss Matt. But I don't know why she did it the second time," Ben explained.

I backed away from my best friends. "Oh, geez!" I grunted as I fell on the helmet rack. "You guys are serious?" I whispered.

"Yeah, dude. Amy's cheating on you."